Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Book Review: The Wedding Girl

      
         In between writing final essays and getting ready for exams I decided on Monday night that I deserved a break, and picked up  Madeleine Wickham's book The Wedding Girl as a treat for myself. As soon as I started reading it, however, I found it very difficult to put back down! The story centres around Milly as she prepares for an enormous wedding to her finance Simon. Days before they are to be married, however, a part of Milly's past is revealed, (a secret marriage to an illegal immigrant at 18) throwing all of her plans off course.

         While I've read most of Wickham's books written under the pseudonym of Sophie Kinsella, this novel was very different from the typical plot of her Shopoholic series. Not only were the topics in the book much more serious (such as gay marriage and abortion), but the plot also seemed somewhat more realistic than most romance and chic lit novels. I also appreciated how much more developed Wickham's characters were compared to her other books, and the opportunity which readers are given to view the story from several points of view. While I'll admit I found the style of writing a little aggravating at first, the surprise twists throughout the novel kept me hooked until the very end. Overall, this novel was about being honest with yourself and those you love, which I found to be fitting and perfect moral.

           Despite the slightly more serious tone, Wickham's  The Wedding Girl is still your typical chic lit novel, complete with romance and a happy ending.  The fact that I couldn't put it down should speak for itself, and I look forward to reading many more of Madeleine Wickham's books in the future!

Rating: 4/5 

3 comments:

Bookish Brunette said...

I totally tried to read this and I just couldn't get into it!

Natalie said...

Haha yaa I probably over-rated this book....I was just so excited to finally have a chance to read something other than T.S. Eliot or Tennyson!

Natalie said...

Ooh, I love Sophie Kinsella's books but haven't read any of the ones she's written as Madeleine Wickham. Glad you enjoyed it!

Post a Comment