Monday, 4 April 2011

Bookshelf Overload


          Two weeks ago I was excited to discover that I had won a contest at my local Book Depot to fill an entire box of books for free during their annual clearence sale. Needless to say I was ecstatic! My mom had entered me into the contest on a whim, never expecting that we would actually win! While I probably could have filled an entire box by myself, I decided to share my winnings with my cousin, and together we spent over two hours in the warehouse rummaging through the immense pile of books to choose from. At the end of the day we both left with about 15 books each, and my already overcrowded bookshelf is now overflowing! Although I haven't yet had a chance to read any of them due to schoolwork, I thought I would share a few of my findings with you that I am the most excited about.


The Girls By Lori Lansen
I read this book a few years ago and it instantly became one of my all time favourite reads! I have searched countless used bookstores (the only way I can afford books on a student budget) in order to find a copy and was so thrilled to finally add it to my own collection. The story focuses on the lives of conjoined twins Ruby and Rose who were abandoned at birth by their mother. While the plot may seem a little wierd and depressing, Lansen's writing was so beautiful I soon became swept away in the story. The following is probably my favourite quote from the entire novel:
I have never looked into my sister's eyes. I have never bathed alone. I have never stood in the grass at night and raised my arms to a beguiling moon. I've never used an airplane bathroom. Or worn a hat. Or been kissed like that. I've never driven a car. Or slept through the night. Never a private talk. Or solo walk. I've never climbed a tree.
Or faded into a crowd. So many things I've never done, but oh, how I've been loved. And, if such things were to be, I'd live a thousand lives as me, to be loved so exponentially.


Born to Rock by Gordon Korman
         Despite the fact that I'm 21 (soon to be 22!) I still have a soft spot for YA and teen fiction. Whenever I need a laugh I have turned to books by Gordon Korman, like Son of the Mob and Something Fishy at Macdonald Hall. Born to Rock focuses on Leo, a high school senior preparing to attend Harvard, only to discove that his real father is a punk rock music legend. Hoping to get his father to pay for his university tuition, Leo goes on tour with his dad's band, resulting in some chaotic and crazy situations. I'm definiatly looking forward to this book when I'm looking for a light, humourous read this summer!


The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham
         I only recently discovered that Sophie Kinsella was actually a pseudonym for author Madeleine Wickham, opening up a new door of several other books for me to read! This book focuses on Milly as she prepares for an elaborate wedding to her wealthy fiance Simon. Trouble strikes when a secret from her past (a previous marriage at 18) reveals itself only four days before her wedding. Having read everything written by Sophie Kinsella, I expect this book to be very similar to her other novels: light, humourous, and of course a happy ending. The romantic in me can never turn down a good chic lit read!

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin
         I'm so excited about the fact that Emily Giffin's novel "Something Borrowed" is going to be released as a film that I want to re-read not only that book, but everything she has ever written! Heart of the Matter is the one novel, however, that I haven't already read, and so I was thrilled to get my hands on a copy at Book Depot! The plot of the story revolves around Tessa and Valerie, two women who have little in common besides the love of their children. One night, however, a tragic accident causes their lives to converge in ways no one could have imagined. While I've heard mixed reviews about this book, I'm going to try and put those past judgements aside and hopefully find this book as heartwarming and engrossing as Giffin's other novels.

1 comments:

Bookish Brunette said...

It's okay sugar... I'm 27 and still have a soft spot for YA! ;)

Post a Comment