Tuesday, 5 April 2011

The Extinction of the Card Catalogue

      
         I was browsing on tumbler today (my source of procrastination when I should be writing essays) and was amused to come across a site which lets you create the image of your own catalogue card. I instantly found myself transported to the past, to the days when I remember flicking through the assortment of catalogue cards at my local library while I waited for my parents. People always talk about how far technology has come over the years, but it never really hit me until now.  It's crazy how quickly things like computers have changed something as simple as a library. Not only have computers allowed objects like cataloguing cards to become obsolete, but they have even gone so far as to allow readers to access and download books online.

        While I would certainly miss the benefits of the computer age, I can't help but be nostalgic for the loss of the catalogue card. It makes me wonder what the future holds when it comes to books and libraries. If the catalogue card has already become extinct, what will be next? Will the invention of devices such as the e-book reader make paper copies of books obsolete? I strongly hope it will never come to that! Although technology may be improving the ways in which people are accessing information, I for one will always prefer the sensation of turning the crisp pages in a new book to the glare of words on a screen.

Check out the catalogue card I made below, and make your own at http://www.blyberg.net/card-generator/


1 comments:

Leila @ Within Pages said...

It is sad when you think about how technology changes something like the library. I honestly hope that libraries never suffer what the bookstore industry is right now.

With Borders closing, my next biggest bookstore is going bankrupt and on the verge of closing as well because technology has soared the online purchase of books now.

I love going to the library or to this book store (a bajillion comfy couches to read on) but I don't know how long that will be a hobby if they all go away.

Post a Comment