Thursday, 14 April 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games

Goodreads Synopsis 
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


How can I possibly put into words how absolutely amazing and sensational Suzanne Collins's novel The Hunger Games is? It totally blew me away from page one to the very end! The anticipation of wondering what would happen to Katniss had me constantly on the edge of my seat! Every spare moment I could manage over the past two days was spent devouring this exceptional and powerfully written young adult fiction, which happily for me, is currently in production to be turned into a film! I can't believe that the first time I saw this novel in the store I actually passed it by because the cover simply did not appeal to me (serves me right for judging books by their cover all the time!). If it hadn't been for all the buzz surrounding this book online I'm horrified to think that I may never have read it!


Suzanne Collins is one of the most brilliant young adult writers I have ever read. Not only is her plot original and well paced, her prose is elegant, rolling off the pages and straight into my imagination.There have also been few writers I have encountered who could structure a love triangle as believable and intricate as is present in The Hunger Games. I constantly found myself wavering between the two love interests which Collins has set up for her main heroine. With the way book one ended, I could see Katniss easily ending up with either one of the male characters set before her, and I like that it is not easily revealed as to who she will finally end up with like most novels which contain elements of romance. 


All I can say is thank goodness that the second and third book in this series are already out, because there is no way I could wait months on end to find out how everything is going to end! My only regret about this book was that it was so good I did not pace myself and finished it far too quickly! I'm defiantly going to have to take my time on Catching Fire so that I can prolong my enjoyment for the second book. This book is an easy five stars! If I had a higher rating system then I would give it even more! So, if you've read this review and are intrigued, then I highly suggest you go out and grab a copy of The Hunger Games right now, because it is definitely not something you're going to want to pass by! 

Rating: 5 Stars!!!

4 comments:

Bookish Brunette said...

I devoured this series in under a week! I LOOOOVE this series, it is hard to put into words how amazingly awesome it is!

Natalie said...

Great review! I lovelovelove the Hunger Games and the sequels are just as amazingly brilliant! Enjoy them! :)

T.B. said...

Hi, I just found your blog! I'm your newest follower!

I loved The Hunger Games series and I'm so glad you liked it! I can't wait to hear what you think of Catching Fire! I read this one all in one night, and I stayed up all night to finish Mockingjay when it came out. Haha, Team Peeta or Team Gale? :)

Natalie said...

I'm really on the fence right now between Peeta and Gale....part of me is slightly leaning more towards Peeta though since he was more in the first book! I just received Catching Fire from Amazon and I am way too excited to read it!

Post a Comment