Friday, 8 April 2011

Having Fun Isn't Hard When You've Got A Library Card!





If you were ever a devoted fan of the TV show Arthur like I was when I was a kid, then there is a good chance that you've seen the episode where Arthur and his friends sing about the library at least once...if not multiple times! I LOVED this song when I was a kid and would sing the chorus over and over again whenever I was trying to convince my parents to take me for a trip to the library. While I haven't thought of this song in a long time, for some reason it happened to pop in my head yesterday afternoon, and I immediately had to track it down on Youtube! Since then I've been subconsciously humming the song to myself all day (and I even caught my mom singing it while she was looking through the newspaper a couple of minutes ago).

One of the things I found funny watching this clip was the amount of literary references that I defiantly did not catch on to when I was a kid! The song mentions everything from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Giving Tree, to Jules Verne and Ray Bradbury! The only reference that I still don't understand is when D.W. mentions a book where you shouldn't keep your brother in a jar? Am I missing something with that one? For some reason I thought of the Bell Jar but I'm pretty sure that isn't what they are talking about haha!

Something else that I also found entertaining was that the librarian in the video looks just like one of the librarians at my local library (minus the bunny ears of course)! Anyways, I just found this video so amusing that I just had to share it online! I hope that those of you who watch it find it as funny and nostalgic of your childhood as I did :)

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Haha, this post is awesome! That song has been stuck in my head for YEARS! Everytime I see or hear about libraries, it pops up!

I remember there was another song in that episode about Jekyll and Hyde and that was bloody catchy too haha! I love Arthur!

Natalie said...

Omg ya! Thanks for reminding me about that Jekyll and Hyde song! I'm actually doing a project on that novel right now and I might be able to work that in haha!

Honey said...

OMG! OMG! I CAN'T BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW MUCH I LOVE ARTHUR! AND THIS EPISODE IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE!

Sorry about the caps, I'm just REALLY excited!

My younger brother watches TVO Kids and PBS Kids and he always calls me over when Arthur is coming on. I learned to solve problems from Arthur!

I was watching Dancing With The Stars and a song came on. I don't know the name but it was the exact tune as the ice cream song in this episode! I want some ice cream, chocolate would be good! Ice cream that tastes, just like it should!

I'm wriggling with excitement at this post! Thank you for making my crappy day better :)

Post a Comment