Friday, 6 May 2011

Book Review: Catching Fire

Goodreads Synposis
Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.













Wow. As in the case of The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins' second book in the series, Catching Fire, blew me out of the water! Catching Fire quickly picks up on the intensity and passion of the plot and characters  right where The Hunger Games left off. I tried to pace myself a little better on this novel so that I could prolong my enjoyment of it, but I still couldn't stop myself from racing to the end after two days of self restraint.

While I expected a rebellion to arise within this novel after the ending of the first book, I was suprised by the direction that Catching Fire actually ended up taking. *Spoiler Alert* Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Katniss and Peeta to end up back in the arena fighting in the Hunger Games! While I enjoyed the use of the arena in the first novel, I had mixed emotions about Collins' decision to bring the characters back there again. On the one hand it made sense in order to demonstrate the wrath of President Snow, but on the other hand it felt like I was simply reading the first novel again. I suppose I was hoping to see Katniss involved more within the rebellion, but after the ending of Catching Fire I'm sure that this will come in the third novel.

Despite my mixed feelings regarding the inclusion of the actual Hunger Games within Catching Fire, I still loved this novel! Suzanne Collins kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time, and the intensity of the love triangle continues to drive me crazy! Peeta? Gale? I often feel as conflicted as Katniss while I'm reading! I will definatly be picking up a copy of the final book in the series, Mockingjay, on my next trip to Chapters!

Rating: 5 Stars

3 comments:

Selina said...

Great review. I loved the whole series and if you are hoping for more involvement in the rebellion, then you will definitely like the last part of the series. Added myself as a new follower.

T.B. said...

Great review! Haha, I love how you tried to pace yourself with this one... don't we all :) I agree about the arena. This book was probably my least favorite out of the three, just because I felt it wasn't as original. I can't wait to see what you think of Mockingjay!

deltay said...

I was actually re-reading parts of The Hunger Games & Catching Fire the other day - they still remain favourites :) And yes - definitely check out Mockingjay! Great review

Post a Comment