Saturday, 14 May 2011

Book Review: Delirium

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.









I am a lover of dystopian novels, and so when I first heard about Delirium it was a given that I would read it! My friend Jackie from The Garden Oasis (who just started her own blog! Go check it out!), generously supplied me with a copy for my birthday, and I immediatly began reading it the next day!

I loved the overall premise of this book! The idea of a world where everyone must undergo a surgery to remove their ability to love was really intriguing. When it came to the execution of the idea, I thought Lauren Oliver did an okay job. While her dystopian world was interesting, it fell a little short in my opinion compared to other great novels like The Hunger Games.

Nevertheless, I really did enjoy Delirium, especially the inner turmoil of the characters, which I believe Lauren Oliver delivered perfectly! While it took me a while to get into the novel, once I hit the middle of Delirium I found it difficult to put down! The ending was especially gripping, with a dramatic cliffhanger which will definatly motivate me to read the sequel when it comes out!

In general, I would recommend fellow lovers of dystopian novels to give Delirium a try. For those who are unfamiliar with the dystopian genre, Delirium would also be a good place to start! I'm sorry if this review isn't as detailed as usual, but I've started reading two other books since I finished reading Delirium, and my overall thoughts on the book are not as fresh in my mind. Goes to show that I need to keep up to date on my book reviewing and not fall behind!

Rating: 3.5 Stars

4 comments:

Karis Jacobstein said...

I'm so happy to come across someone else who didn't absolutely rave about this one too! Like you, I thought it was just okay. Definitely not as good as Before I Fall. I did like the idea of it, but I just couldn't really connect with the characters. I think The Giver, Matched, The Hunger Games, and Incarceron are all MUCH better choices for the genre.

Selina said...

Great review. I am about 75% through, so thanks for not mentioning any spoilers! So far I enjoy it but I find the idea of love as a disease a bit difficult to take very serious. I will put up a review on my blog as soon as I finish the whole book.

Sara Bell said...

Ooh yay, I have this one sitting on my shelf and now I'm even more excited about it! =]

Yaseena said...

I wasn't overly crazy about this one. I think i gave it a 3 star rating. I wasn't overl yimpressed with the dystopian world either but the premise is what kept me going. It got pretty depressing half way through though and I sorta lost my drive to read it. Nice review

Post a Comment