Monday, 2 May 2011

Book Review: The Iron King

Goodreads Synposis
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.




The Iron King far surpassed my reading expectations! I loved it from the moment I read the first page, and found myself speeding through the chapters in anticipation of the ending. Julie Kagawa's plot was both thrilling and innovative, and I really enjoyed the ways in which she intertwined classic myths about faeries with the technology of today. In many ways this book reminded me a lot of the recent television series that has come on the Showcase channel called Lost Girl, (which is also amazing) and deals with ancient faeries living in the human world as well.  

The characters in this novel were by far my favourite part! I adored Puck and his mischevous nature, and Grimalkin reminded me of the Chesire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. I also loved the dark, mysterious and defiant characteristics of Ash, and the way readers were left wondering whether or not he was a threat or an aid to Meghan's mission.

For most books that I read I usually end up having at least one or two critical comments about it in my review, but for this novel nothing came to my immediate mind. Perhaps I was so enraptured by the story that any little flaws faded into the background, or maybe The Iron King is just that good! Either way I'm at a loss of words when it comes to thinking about anything that really bugged me about this novel.

In general, I loved loved loved The Iron King and I am highly anxious to start the next book in the series to see what happens next! I sense a potential love triangle in the future, and I am desperate to see how that is handled by the author! Thank goodness that the next two novels have already been released or else I think the anticipation would kill me! If you haven't already read this series then I highly recommened you get started now!

Rating: 5 Stars

2 comments:

Bookish Brunette said...

I just read this one last week and I freaking adored it!

Yaseena said...

I tried this one a while back and couldn't get into it. But with your great review and the great reviews I've read from others I may have to give this one another chance. It seems like something I'd really enjoy! Glad you liked it :)

Post a Comment