Monday, 30 May 2011

Book Review: White Cat

Cassel comes from a family of curse workers — people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all mobsters, or con artists. Except for Cassel. He hasn't got the magic touch, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail — he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.
Ever since, Cassel has carefully built up a façade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his façade starts crumbling when he starts sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things, too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him, caught up in a mysterious plot. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he also wonders what really happened to Lila. Could she still be alive? To find that out, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen.

How can I possibly put into words how amazing White Cat is?!? While I found the first three chapters a little slow due to the need of background information, I was immediately hooked by everything that followed!  I absolutely loved the world which Holly Black created, where part of the population, called Curse Workers, have the power to change everything from your luck to your memories just by touching you with their hands. The plot itself also blew me away! With all of the cons going on throughout the novel there were so many twists and turns that I never knew what to expect next!

Not only was the plot gripping, but also the unique cast of characters. Cassel is the bad boy with a heart of gold that almost every girl dreams about. Sam fills the role of trustworthy sidekick perfectly with help from Danika along the way. Out of all of the characters though I think Cassel's brothers, Philip and Barron, were the ones who were the best portrayed. The novel constantly has you guessing whether they are good or bad, and their personalities are probably the ones that are the most developed overall. The ending of White Cat had me particularly interested in how Philip and Barron will end up in the next book in the series.

I inhaled White Cat is about a day and a half, and I am already highly anticipating reading Red Glove! White Cat was so good that it comes with one of my highest recommendations! There were no copies available at my local library, but I think it was well worth the ten dollars I paid for it at Chapters! If you enjoy paranormal YA novels then White Cat is definitely for you!

Rating: 5 Stars

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Ahhhh! I loved this book! I'm so glad you liked it too. Isn't Cassel awesome?! I've already read Red Glove and I can't wait for the next one. Sigh!

Chelsey said...

Woo! This sounds awesome!! Nat.. why can't we live closer lol .. I want to go to Chapters with you =). I will definitely pick this up next time I treat myself to a new book =).

★Leila @ Within Pages said...

I read this recently and gave it 3.5 stars. I really enjoyed it but I thought that once I had the first initial clues, I really understood the underlying plot a little early. Can't wait to read Red Glove though!

★ Leila

Natalie said...

Ya I'll admit I figured out about the Cat and what kind of curse worker he was pretty early....but the con at the end with his brothers totally threw me through a loop!

Erica said...

I really need to read this one - I have heard such wonderful things about it!

Silvia Soulez said...

I'm so excited to share this testimony on how i got my ex boyfriend back after a break up. I cant believe it! Dr .Goodluck your love spell casting really worked! My ex-boyfriend ( is now my boyfriend once again) sent me an SMS last Tuesday night, wanting us to get back together again...and here we are! Yes, we are back in each others arms once again. Everything is back to normal but this time our relationship is much more sweeter and much more serious and we are both committed to each other. I just want you guys to know how much I thank Dr .Goodluck! If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you., do not cry anymore, email him at: goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com or Add him up on Whats-app: +2348138654465,you can also visit his website:http://goodluck05spellcaster.yolasite.com.

goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com
whatsapp or call +2348138654465
http://goodluck05spellcaster.yolasite.com

Post a Comment