Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Girl in the Steel Corset

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine
 
In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one…except the "thing" inside her.
When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch….
Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.
Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help—and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.
But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on—even if it seems no one believes her.

I know that quite a few people in the past have brought up The Girl in the Steel Corset as part of their Waiting on Wednesday posts, but as the release of this novel draws nearer (May 24th), I can't help but take the opportunity to write about it myself!

The first thing that immediately drew me to this book was the absolute stunning beauty of the cover! I almost feel like framing it and hanging it up in my room! From reading the synopsis of the plot, however, The Girl in the Steel Corset appears to be more than just a book with a pretty cover. The idea of a band of misfits with special abilities who are attempting to destroy evil automatons sounds pretty kickass to me! Ever since taking a steampunk related English course last semester I've loved everything to do with Neo-Victorianism, and this novel appears to be overflowing with steampunk goodness! Needless to say, I will be picking up my copy of The Girl in the Steel Corset as soon as it comes out!

10 comments:

Yaseena said...

This is a great WOW post and nice too because it's released next week! not too bad on the waiting time :) I started reading this one the other day and am really liking it so far. It's so different with the Steampunk themes because you have to learn whats normal and whats not in this new world. So interesting though.

Selina said...

This seems to be a popular pick this week. I don't mind, because I can't get enough of looking at this beautiful cover. Thanks for sharing!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

That is a great cover!!!


Here is mine

Gina @ My Precious said...

I picked up the prequel to this one. I'm not familiar with the Steam Punk Genre. I definietly am going to give the prequel a try (picked it up on amazon as a freebie) if I like it I will read this one too. :-)

PS: Thanks for the visit to my blog!

The Reading Geek said...

This book sounds great and the cover is beautiful. I will have to add this to my list.

Sarah Darlington said...

This sounds really cool and I love the cover too! :)

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've noticed this one around...it looks very tempting.

Here's MY WOW POST

Sally said...

I'm reading this one at the moment - loving it.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday-19.html

Kat said...

LOL. This is my WOW pick as well :)

Kat
Wit and Sin

Cait said...

Great choice, I've got this for review and it does sound really good.

Post a Comment