Saturday, 25 June 2011

Book Review: Anna and the French Kiss


Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets √Čtienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.
As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited?





When I first heard about Anna and the French Kiss I was a little reluctant to put it on my to-read list. It initially seemed to me like just another typical novel of teen romance....but boy was I wrong!! I am so glad that I convinced myself to pick up a copy of this book because it was absolutely bloody amazing!!! Right from the very first page I was caught up in the excitement and anticipation of trying to discover if Anna and St. Clair would indeed end up together by the end of the novel. This novel was seriously like crack to me! As soon as I put it down the only thing I could think about was when I would be able to pick it back up again! At one point, my poor boyfriend even had to put up with me ignoring him while I snuck in a few more chapters before we went out with some friends for the night.

So what exactly did I love about Anna and the French Kiss? Probably the number one thing I loved about this book was that the relationships within it were realistic and believable. Sure, the whole part about them going to bording school in Paris together might be a bit on that fantasy side of things, but the struggle of their emotions seemed very real. I think if St. Clair and Anna had gotten together by the fourth chapter the novel would have felt less geniune to me. Even the side characters like Josh and Rashmi displayed how teen relationships are far from being perfect.

Another thing I loved about this novel was the setting itself. I adore Paris! And while yes, I mentioned before that it made the novel a little less realistic for me, I couldn't get enough of all the tiny details that Stephanie Perkins gave readers about this amazing city! Having been to Paris myself about 5 years ago, the decriptions in the book made me feel like I was back there again, especially the part about ground zero by Notre Dame (like Anna, I too have stepped on that star....although my wish has yet to come true :P).

I suppose to sum up this review the only other thing I can say is that this book truly is a wonderful read! I know that a lot of other bloggers have given Anna and the French Kiss great reviews, which often makes me hesitant in case I am disappointed. This novel, however, was far from a disappointment! It well exceeded my expectations, and I can't believe that I almost passed it by because the synposis didn't immediatly catch my attention!

Rating: 5 Stars

6 comments:

Allison said...

glad you didn't pass this one by, it really is a great read! I can't wait for Lola now :)

kaye (paper reader) said...

I haven't read it yet, but I think I'm going to have to pick it up. It sounds like such a fun read and otherwise would probably be something I'd end up passing by due to the title.

Jenny said...

I'm glad you liked it. It was a fun read wasn't it?

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

Yay! Glad you liked this :) I just finished and reviewed Anna myself.

Shoshanah said...

I've heard so many great things about this book, although I have yet too read. I'm just hoping by the time I finally do get around to reading it, it lives up to my expectations!

Easy French said...

I loved the book :) Highly recommended !

Post a Comment