Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Book Review: Clockwork Angel

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.


Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.


I have been sitting at my computor for about ten minutes now trying to decide how in the world to begin this review. I think a lovely reviewer named Jillian from The Book Lantern describes it best "This book felt like an awkward first date. We tried to get to know one another, but things just didn't seem to click. Sometimes I was bored; sometimes I was fascinated in spite of myself. But, sadly, there wasn't a spark." Indeed, no matter how hard I tried to fall in love with Clockwork Angel, it just didn't seem to work. It wasn't until about page 280 that I began to feel like the novel was starting to really capture my interest. While I'll admit that there was a nice twist at the end the plot which I didn't see coming, the slow beginning kind of killed it for me.


While I may not have felt any sparks with reading the Clockwork Angel, that does not necessarily mean that I did not enjoy certain aspects of the novel. In many ways the character of Will was one of the redeeming factors for Clockwork Angel. I loved all of his sarcastic remarks and his slighlty bi-polar personatlity! One of my favourite quotes from the novel is a conversation that Will has with his rival Gabriel: "You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends Will." "There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't."


The one thing I really respect about Cassandra Clare with regards to Clockwork Angel was her restraint in revealing anything about Will's mysterious past, which is probably one of the main reasons I will end up reading the sequel (yes...even though this novel didn't completely grab me the cliffhanger at the end makes me crave to know what happens)! In doing so, she really adds to the complexity and dimension of her characters. So, would I recommend reading this novel? If you are a fan of The Mortal Instruments series you will most likely love Clockwork Angel, as long as you are prepared for a slow beginning!


Rating: 3 Stars

3 comments:

Grace Fonseca said...

Well at least the cover was nice.

TheJennaGirl said...

Bummer! The cover and the description made this story look/sound awesome... I think I'll save my $$ for another book. Thanks for the review!

Richard said...

Found your blog thru WoW..new follower :)

I felt he same about Clockwork Angel...it just didn't do it for me. A friend told me I HAD to read City of Bones, which I did, and LOVED. Give that series a try.

Check out my WoW here

Post a Comment