Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Book Review: Falling Under




Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams. 

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear. 

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul


When I first started this book I  had very high expectations for how good it would be. Unfortunatly for me, however, I found that Falling Under started off very slowly. There were a bunch of times I thought about putting it down and picking up something else to read, but thankfully I didn't, because the novel soon picked up to the point where I was staying up late into the night to finish it! For me, Falling Under became irresistable after Theia physically went to Under for the first time. It was there that I actually started to like the character of Haden, who started off as such a jerkt that I couldn't stand the way Theia kept saying she was in love with him after all the bad ways he treated her. Like Theia, I then soon "fell under" the spell of Haden's charm.

Although this books starts off very slowly, there were a couple of things that I loved about it right away, the main one being some of the characters. I absolutely adored Donny's personality! She was so spirited and audacious, and I love the way she kept fighting to reveal how much she actually cared about Gabe. Varnie was tied with Donny for the position of my favourite character. A cross-dressing pyschic who surfs? Talk about imaginative! I think this is one of the first novels I've ever read where I liked the supporting characters more then the main characters!

One of the other things I loved about Falling Under was the change in perspective about two-thirds of the way through the novel. I think switching to Haden's narrative voice was one of the main things that made me finally see the softer side of his character and put some of my hate for him aside. Haden's point of view also gave me a chance to look at some of my favourite characters in a different way as well, like Donny, Varnie, and Amelia. Overall, I think that if you are able to get through the first 100 or so pages of this book then you will really enjoy Falling Under. It takes a while to "fall under" its spell, but I think you will be glad you did when you finish reading it! 

Rating: 4 Stars

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Sometimes books make you work for it and, like a person, are better once you really get to know them. I love when they slowly convince you to like the characters and story. Well, sometimes. ;) I was wondering about this one maybe I'll give it a try.

Ikhlas said...

This one reminded me a lot of Hush, Hush (which I read first), so I wasn't the biggest fan of this book, because it felt like I had read it before (in so many variations). But I loved the velvety soft cover!

Post a Comment