Saturday, 11 June 2011

Book Review: Hounded


Tempe, Arizona is as far removed from paranormal activity as is possible. And that’s where Atticus O’Sullivan, rare book salesman, herb peddler, and 2,000 year old Druid the last of his kind has decided to set up shop. He’s been on the run, guarding a very powerful sword from a very angry ancient Celtic god for over two millennia now. But while these years have been good to him Atticus has become more powerful than he could have possibly imagined The Morrigan, a very old god of death, has predicted death and doom for our hero, and it’s up to Atticus, with help from a pride of werewolves, and a gorgeous bartender possessed by an Indian witch, to stay alive, hopefully for another thousand years.
                         
I first heard about The Iron Druid Chronicles when I read someone's Waiting on Wednesday post that discussed the second book in the series. Naturally curious, I looked up the first novel on Goodreads and was immediately intrigued by the combination of  Irish myth with a paranormal plot. I was also happy to discover that on Goodreads Hounded had received a numerous amount of great reviews with an average rating of 4.27 stars out of 5.As I usually place great trust in my fellow reviewers both on Blogger and Goodreads, I decided to buy a copy of Hounded from online last week! 
                                                                                               
When I first picked up Hounded, I expected a paranormal novel filled with magic and intricate battle scenes, especially due to the intensity of the cover. While Kevin Hearne's novel delivered just that, I soon discovered an added bonus...humour! I don't think I have ever read a paranormal novel that was so lighthearted and fun before! Despite being a 2,000 year old Druid faced with a potential death sentence, the main character, Atticus, was constantly making wisecracks and jokes that would have any reader laughing out loud! The connection between Atticus and his irish wolfhound named Oberon was especially amusing. Whenever the two of them were together it was like watching a two man comedy team! 

Although Hounded was a very amusing novel in terms of its comedy and characters, I found it a very confusing read when I first started. Not being familiar with a lot of Irish myth or folklore, I often found myself lost when Atticus referred to such people as the Tuatha De Danann or the Morrigan. While I was able to figure out some of the Irish gods and goddesses by the end of the novel, I am still confused about who the Tuatha de Danann are and resorted to Googling it this morning (they are a race of people from Irish mythology). 

Due to the really high ratings Hounded received from reviewers on Goodreads, I was also slightly disappointed by the novel. That isn't to say that Hounded was a terrible book! I really did enjoy my time spent reading it, and will probably check out the next two books in the series when they are published this month! I just don't want readers who are interested in reading this novel to have as high expectations as I did when I started it!  While the paranormal aspects fell a little short for me, the comedy redeemed Hounded and made it the lovable book that it is! 

Rating 3.5 Stars

1 comments:

Jenny said...

Good to know. I have this one on my TBR list and am actually anxious to get to it. Now I'll try not to have to high of hopes. ;)

Post a Comment