Thursday, 2 June 2011

Book Review: Matched

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
In many ways Ally Condie's recent novel Matched is a combination of Lois Lowry's classic dystopian The Giver and Lauren Oliver's Delirium. Focusing on  a society which controls everything from your career to your potential to marry, Matched follows the struggles of Cassia as she attempts to navigate her emotions for Xander (the guy her society has chosen to be her future husband) and Ky (her true Match).


While Matched has recieved a wide range of mixed reviews from many of the blogs that I follow, I personally loved this novel! Cassia's emotional confusion regarding Xander and Ky had me as conflicted as herself! Although I think it was pretty obvious from the very beginning who Cassia would end up falling in love with, I nevertheless couldn't help but feel torn between wanting her to end up with Xander or Ky.


My absolute favourite thing about Matched, however, was Ally Condie's interweaving of poetry into the plot. Her particular use of Dylan Thomas' poem "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" worked so perfectly with the rest of the novel. The theme of rebellion against death and authority echoed in Cassia's own revelation regarding the darkside of the society in which she lives.
 
 
Overall, although I'll admit that Matched had its slow moments in the plot, I found it difficult to put this book down! I was so anxious to find out what would happen to Cassia at the end of the novel that I stayed up late into the wee hours of the night to finish it. As I mentioned previously, Matched somewhat reminded me of Lauren Oliver's novel Delirium, although I enjoyed this book a lot more. I am already counting down the days until the sequel comes out!

Rating: 4 Stars
- Dylan Thomas

8 comments:

Selina said...

I read Delirium after Matched and could not help but notice some similarities as well. I liked Matched more than Delirium too! Thanks for the great review.

Jessica S. said...

I am in the middle of Matched myself right now, and I just hit the part with the poem. It's getting good! Thanks for the review. ^_^

Jenny said...

I'm glad you liked this one. The author actually lives in the same city as me and I got to meet her, she even stopped by a book club meeting where we'd read her book. I liked the book, though it made me so mad sometimes. I'm excited for the second one. Thanks for posting the poem.

Bekka said...

I lovvvved this book! I'm seeing so many negative reviews for it lately; I'm glad you liked it! I seriously can NOT wait for Crossed.

Sarah Darlington said...

I really loved this one! I gave in 5/5 on my blog. There were some slow parts, agreed, but I really liked Ky. And I didn't care much for Delirium. So I liked this one better as well. :)

yaseena said...

nice review! I wasn't sure about picking this one up when I first saw it because I had just finished reading Delirium and honestly didn't love it much. I was hoping that if I tried this type of book again, Matched would turn out better.

T.B. said...

I thought this one was okay, but I would have liked to see more of the dystopian world. Cassia didn't really get involved in it too much, and I just would have liked to see the inner workings of it. Can't wait for Crossed! Great review!

Anonymous said...

This is the best book in the world! And im reading Crossed and im almost done and its also really good! But the thing I dont like is that Reached doesnt come out untill November 23rd! But other then that I loved them all! So far!!:)

Post a Comment