Thursday, 9 June 2011

If I Were Stuck On A Deserted Island...

As I was sitting bored at home yesterday afternoon that age old question popped into my head: If I were stuck on a deserted island and could only bring three books with me what would they be?

Now this is probably one of the most difficult questions you could ever ask a book addict such as myself. With so many amazing authors, genres, and books in the world, it seems almost criminal to imagine a scenario in which you are only given three books to read for the rest of your life! After pondering over this question for quite some time I came up with the following three books (although I'm still not completely satisfied with my choices)....

Pride and Prejudice By Jane Austen
There is no way in hell I could survive on an island for the rest of my life without a little bit of Austen to keep me company. In reality, I would take all six of Austen's novels with me, but alas I decided to narrow it down to just one. After a long struggle between choosing to keep Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion (my two favourites), I decided to go with the former as it is the first Austen novel I ever read, and Mr. Darcy is just so dashing!










Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
I read Gone With the Wind about three summers ago and it quickly became one of my favourite books! I love the tense relationship between Scarlett and Rhett with their constant bickering and making up. The bonus about this book is that it is huge! Like Dictonary huge! Sooo if I'm stranded on a desert island at least this book will take a little more time to read then some of the others I could have chosen.












The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games series is a new addiction of mine. I chose to bring this one so that I would have something light and fun to read. While it would be kind of disappointing not having the second and third book to complete the series, I could always use my memory to fill in the gaps of what happened next. The first book is by far my favourite anyways!












So these are the three books I would choose to bring with me if I were to be deserted on a desert island with nothing else to read! I'm sure this list will keep changing as I continue to read more and more amazing books! So what do you guys think of the books I have chosen? What books would you choose??

PS. Check out blogger Caitlin from The Cait Files! She has started a new weekly meme on Thursdays called Review Appreciation Day, which focuses on promoting book reviews by sharing them with fellow bloggers! I think its a fabulous idea! :)

5 comments:

Jenny said...

This is one of the toughest choices! I would bring I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak. Couldn't live without that one. And I would have opted for Persuasion but I don't know what my third book would be. Sigh!

kaye (paper reader) said...

I would bring a copy of Iliad and the Odyssey - it's not cheating if they come together in one book! And then I would probably bring Anna Karenina and probably Brave New World. Top three favorites there. :)

TheJennaGirl said...

Confession: I've never read The Hunger Games. I know, I know I'm behind the times!! I think Harry Potter would have been in my top three, though. And absolutely any Jane Austen novel. I'm re-reading Emma now :)

Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday! We follow each other now :)

Shoshanah said...

I absolutely love GWTW! I read it for the first time in middle school, over something crazy like 3 days, and I've been a love ever since. I've reread it tons of times since them. And have to say I'm surprised about the number of people who haven't read it, expecting it to be something it isn't. But then again I've never actually read any Jane Austen novels, so I may shouldn't be one to pass judgement.

Allison said...

I'm a dirty cheater, I would bring the Harry Potter series and fight with the powers that be to the death that IT ONLY COUNTS AS ONE.

I'd also bring the book A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth - I own it to read and it is possibly the longest book I have ever seen in my life. That would kill some time.

I would also bring some book I really hated so I could use it to feed a fire when necessary.

:)

Post a Comment