Monday, 20 June 2011

Top Five Literary Fathers

Although Father's Day ended yesterday, I thought it would be a good idea to pay tribute to the literary fathers that have captured the hearts of not only their fictional children but readers alike!

5. King Lear
Sure King Lear might have made some mistakes in his life by sending away the daughter who truly loved him, but the scene with Cordelia at the end never fails to make me cry. His pure agony and sorrow over the death of his beloved daughter demonstrates King Lear's fatherly devotion. Like any father in real life, King Lear made some mistakes, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is a bad father!





4. The Father from The Road
Although he's never given a name, the father from Cormac McCarthy's The Road demonstrates the length that fathers will go to in order to protect their children from harm. I loved how hard he tried to assure his son that everything would be okay, constantly telling him that they are carrying the fire of humanity and civilization inside them.







3. Mr. Bennett

Now my English professor would probably argue with me on this point, but I think Mr. Bennet from Pride and Prejudice is fantastic! I will never forget when he tells Elizabeth, "Your mother will never speak to you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will not speak to you if you do." Sure Mr. Bennett's failure to regulate his daughters results in near disgrace for Lydia, but his decision to help Elizabeth avoid a loveless marriage makes him wonderful in my opinion!


2. Atticus Finch
One of the things I love most about Atticus Finch is his ability to stand up for what he believes in. Throughout To Kill a Mockingbird, he acts as a wonderful role model for Jem and Scout, offering them a fountain of good advice. His respect and patience for his children never ceases to amaze me!







1. Matthew Cuthburt

Although Matthew is not Anne's real father in Anne of Green Gables, he is nevertheless my all time favourite fictional father-like figure!  His quiet, shy manner and absolute adoration for Anne melts my heart every time I read this novel! While Anne is not his true daughter, he helps Marilla to raise her as if she was family. The scene at the end where he dies never fails to make me cry as if he was my own father! 




So what do you guys think of the five literary fathers that I have picked for this post? Who are your favourite literary fathers and why?

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I LOVE ATTICUS! Lol, To Kill A Mockingbird was a fantastic novel mostly because of him. I also very much love Mr. Bennett. Great list! :)

Lisa @ Read.Breathe.Relax. said...

Wow, Natalie! We have 2 out of 5 fathers the same! We're like reading physics!! :D I love Atticus Finch too! Great choices.

Also, you're quote from Mr.Bennet is my all-time favorite quote from that book! Love it!!

P.S. I hope my new comment system wasn't too confusing. Just so you know, under the Username field, if you click "Optional: Link to your website" you can list your blog URL. Sorry if that was confusing! I def want you to link back to your fab blog, though! ;)

Lisa @ Read.Breathe.Relax. said...

P.S. I spelled psychics wrong.. :( sad day

Chelsey said...

This is such a cute post, Nat! I agree with pretty much all of them lol. Especially numero uno =).
I love your blog posts! They make me so happy lol.

Jenny said...

These are all great dads! Even Mr Bennet! Fun post idea.

Yaseena@Sweetunrest said...

Awesome post! Love the list and agree with all of them. Who doesn't adore Matthew Cuthbert, he is the sweetest, most kindest, good natured quiet man. I loved his relationship with Anne. So loving.

Post a Comment