Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: All These Things I've Done

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine :)


In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet, for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant D.A.'s son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidently poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly, Anya finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight—at school, in the news, and most importantly, within her mafia family.




I recently heard about All These Things I've Done from The Story Siren's most recent In My Mailbox posting. I love the concept that author Gabrielle Zevin has created in that chocolate and coffee have become contraband (although I could never survive in such a world myself!). I'm really interested to see how this whole mafia family works out as well! I just wish my wait for this book wasn't so long as it will not be published until September 27th! 

6 comments:

Selina said...

Yes, I am looking forward to this one too! Dystopian mafia: sounds original and intriguing. Thanks for sharing! Here is my WOW

Yaseena said...

hehe looks like we're on the same page with books we want. I just marked this one the other day. Sounds really unique.

kaye (paper reader) said...

The city, a mafia family and a chocolate band all together in one book? I don't know how this book wouldn't grab my attention! I'm definitely waiting for this one pretty eagerly.

Jenny said...

I'm excited for this one too! Forget Prohibition, no chocolate is way WAY worse!

Katie said...

I'm really excited for this one. I kind of like that dystopians are becoming more popular, it means dystopian writers must get more creative....and this sounds really cool. Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm following you now because a) your blog is cool and b) if you're at Brock you live only 30 minutes away.!!

Bookish Brunette said...

Chocolate and coffee? Oh dear god! I'd never survive it!

Post a Comment