Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Book Review: Insatiable




Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper. 

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn’t believe in them. 

Not that Meena isn’t familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you’re going to die (not that you’re going to believe her; no one ever does). 

But not even Meena’s precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side . . . a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for. 

The problem is, he already is dead. Maybe that’s why he’s the first guy Meena’s ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena’s always been able to see everyone else’s future, she’s never been able look into her own. 

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare. 

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future . . . 

Ever since the most recent craze in vampire lore I have avoided vampire novels at all costs. Don't get me wrong...I myself went through a vampire faze when I was in grade 8 and 9 (about five years ago), but I have since become tired of the often repetitive plot lines and love stories surrounding these dark creatures of the night. As a lover of everything Meg Cabot, however, I decided to give her new vampire series a try after hearing many good things about Insatiable. The opening line of the synopsis above gave me some hope that Meg Cabot's take on vampire culture would give a fresh and new spin to this overdone genre. I was wrong.


Insatiable was just like almost every other vampire novel I have ever read. Girl meets mysterious guy....mysterious guy and girl fall in love....mysterious guy turns out to be a vampire....ect. While Meg Cabot does make her main heroine, Meena Harper (ring any bells? Mina = character from Dracula), express her dislike of everything that vampires stand for, she nevertheless gives in to the charms of the vampire prince, Lucien. 


Throughout the entire novel I was longing for Meena to eventually fall in love Aleric, a vampire hunter, instead, but I think that the "strong love connection" described about Meena and Lucien kind of seals the deal on their relationship status for the rest of the series. Nevertheless, I hold out hope that Lucien will be killed with a stake through his heart, and that Aleric will come to sweep the heartbroken Meena off her feet! This desire of mine is probably the one reason that I will continue to read this series ... because you never know when an author just might suprise you! 


Nevertheless, I will give Meg Cabot some credit in attempting to make a vampire novel that is different from all the other ones out there. While she might have failed in my opinion, I'm sure the thousands of people out there who are still reading and enjoying vampire stories will really enjoy Insatiable. While I was slightly disappointed by this book myself, I will admit that Meg Cabot's charms as a writer kept me from putting the book down and walking away altogether. There were moments in Insatiable that made me laugh out loud due to her sarcastic and witty prose, which is the reason that I usually love Meg Cabot's books so much. 


Overall, if you are a fan of vampire fiction then you will most defininetly love Insatiable. If you are like me, however, and are sick of hearing anything to do with these creatures of the night then I suggest you only give it a try if you are a fan of Meg Cabot's other works.


Rating: 3 Stars

5 comments:

Renu said...

I really enjoyed this book, but I get what you mean when you say that the girl always falls for the mysterious guy - which can sometimes be annoying. ;(

I just finished reading the 2nd book which features not only Meenas POV, but Alerics POV too, which was really interesting, and the ending was a shocker!

Anyway, great review. :)

Beth S. said...

I'm like you. I avoid the vampire craze at all costs. Sure I read all the Twilight books, but that's only because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Twilight gave me my vampire fix and now I'm over it.

But yeah, I'm kind of curious to see how Meg Cabot does vampire. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I want to read this one. If I can get it on audio I might listen to it instead.

Jenny said...

It's been awhile since I read this one, but I remember liking it because the whole thing was a cliche. I think she did it on purpose...well, that's what I'd like to believe. Plus I adored Alaric! I'll read the next book with high hopes that Mina chooses him and probably be disappointed but I usually am. Sigh!

kaye (paper reader) said...

I have to admit I'm a little worried because I read Abandon (and I was not at all a fan of it) and this just seems to cement into place my hesitance at reading any more of her stuff. But she did the Princess Diaries...! Conundrum.

Ikhlas said...

I was also sick of vampire stories when I picked this up, but because I love Meg Cabot's books so much, I picked it up.

I actually loved Insatiable. From reading her blog, I knew she had based a whole chunk of it on Dracula, and as usual, her wit and funny observations kept me going.

I also wasn't the biggest fan of Lucien, and hoped Alaric would feature more prominently in the next one, and it was with that hope I finished the book.

But the second one is a HUGE disappointment. If you found this one lacking, not sure what you'll think of the next one.

I was eagerly anticipating it, which is maybe why I was so disappointed, but since you didn't like this one much, you might like the 2nd one better.

Just don't read my review on my website (its full of spoilers)!

Post a Comment