Thursday, 21 July 2011

Book Review: Stork


Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything.

Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life.

When it comes to YA novels that adapt myths or fairytales I often find myself disappointed by their predictability and lack of originality. Wendy Delsol's novel Stork, however, captured my attention from page one and kept me captivated until the very end! Perhaps it was because I am unfamiliar with a lot of Norse lore, but I found it difficult to forsee what was going to happen next throughout most of the novel. While yes, I think the romance in Stork was easy to predict, I was unable to figure out what the secret was that bound Katla and Jack together until it was actually revealed to me.

Another thing that I enjoyed about Stork was the characters themselves. Hulda, the leader of the Storks, was quirky and lovable, Jack was the perfect brooding gentleman, and Katla failed to annoy me (a triumph compared to many other YA heroines I have read in the past!). Wendy Delsol did a perfect job in making each character unique, and drawing out the reader's sympathies in order to more deeply invest them into the outcome of the plot.

While I enjoyed pretty much everything about Stork there was one thing that ultimately knocked the book down from a 5 star rating to a 4, and that was the climax of the overall story. After so much time spent in the development of Katla's powers and her connection to Jack, I suppose I was hoping for an ending that had a little more bang to it! Instead, the final battle seemed to end as suddenly as it began. Nevertheless, I will definitely be reading the sequel, Frost, which is set to be released in October of 2011!

Rating: 4 Stars

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I can't remember if I've got this one marked to read or not. Hmmm, I'll have to go check.

yaseena@sweetunrest said...

I got this from my local library a few weeks back and have yet to read it...gotta bump it up in the line now :) and I hope you like The Restorer! I loved it but I hope I didn't built it up to the point where you'll be disappointed lol Enjoy :) I really hope you love it as much as I did

kaye (paper reader) said...

I haven't read Stork yet, but I have Frost for review and so I think I'll have to tackle them both within the next month or so.

And I love a book that keeps you guessing! That doesn't always happen, but when it does it really sticks with you.

Allison said...

I have Frost for review so I bought a copy of Stork recently - your review has me even more intrigued to pick it up. I don't know a lot about Norse mythology either, so I'm looking forward to being surprised :)

Ikhlas said...

Ooh this sounds really interesting, and a step away from the typical YA novels that are so focused on darkness (which can be seen in their dark/creepy covers).

I tried putting this on hold, but my library doesn't have a copy :(

Post a Comment