Sunday, 10 July 2011

In My Mailbox


I first heard about Sherman Alexie in my first year of English at university. We read fragments from his collection of short stories entitled The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Having enjoyed what I've read from Alexie in the past I was quite eager to pick up a copy of this award winning book from a book sale this past week at Book Depot! I raced through it in about three days and loved it! My review will be posted sometime this week :)





While I was also at the Book Depot I picked up a copy of Heist Society for $4.00 bucks (yay book sales!). I've heard a lot of good things about this book so I'm excited to have a chance to read it myself. In some ways the description reminds me of White Cat...minus the supernatural curse worker part!

From the library this week I picked up John Berendt's true crime novel/memoir entitled Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I've been looking forward to reading this book for a long time as I love non-fiction books, especially ones which involve stories as exciting as the one told here! Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was also turned into a movie in 1997, so I'll have to check that out once I've finished reading...


At the library I also picked up a copy of Stork by Wendy Desol. I think I first heard about this book from someone's Waiting on Wednesday post regarding the second novel in this series, so I thought I would check it out and see if it is any good!

Finally my amazing book week was made complete with my request for a copy of Insatiable by Meg Cabot being recieved from the library! While I've been kind of tired of the whole vampire thing for a while now, this novel intrigued me from the opening line of the synopsis "Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper." From the sounds of it Insatiable is taking a slightly fresher approach to the typical vampire tale. I have a secret obsession with Meg Cabot...I've read pretty much every book she's ever written, so of course I need to sink my teeth into this one!


11 comments:

michelle said...

Found you from Story Siren IMM. I really need to stake out my library for some good reads. Check out my IMM here...
http://muchlovedbooks.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox_10.html

The Library Owl said...

Great books! Stork looks great and I hope you enjoy it along with the others :)

Jenny said...

I hope you enjoy your books. I'm interested in Stork too. Insatiable is hilarious and I can't wait for the next one.

Shoshanah said...

I don't think I've hear anything about Stork before, but I just love the cover.

Beth S. said...

I've been wanting to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil for a while now. The movie was crazy so I'm really curious to see how the book is different.

kaye (paper reader) said...

Book sales, how I love you. I have Frost on the schedule for review, but I have to get Stork from the library first so I have that coming up, too. I'd love to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and so I'm curious to see what you think of it!

The only book by Meg Cabot that I've read is Abandon and I disliked it a lot - but she did The Princess Diaries, so maybe I'll have to give something else by her a shot.

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I still haven't read Heist Society but that was a really great sale. Enjoy!

Kelly said...

I love Sherman Alexie! He came to my college campus to do a reading for The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, and it was fantastic. He didn't actually read from the book; he told the story. It was hilarious. He's a really nice guy, too. I'm glad you liked it! If you get the chance, you should read all of The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven--it's my favorite short story book of his. And if you haven't seen the movie Smoke Signals, it's based on The Lone Ranger and Tonto, and it's fantastic.

Mia said...

A great haul! Awesome stuff... I can't wait to read some of them :)
Check out what's In My Mailbox

Mia @ Gripped into Books

Ikhlas said...

Yayy can't wait for you to read Insatiable! I loved it :D I'm also a big fan of Meg Cabot's books and also her blog, so I knew her vampire book was going to be different than the traditional vampire books going around.

Let me know how you find it! :)
Ikhlas

Kristin said...

Wow, you have a nice stack of books this week in your mailbox.
Happy Reading,
Book Sniffers Anonymous

Post a Comment