Saturday, 2 July 2011

My Favourite Canadian Books


I wish I could say that my Canada Day was super exciting this year, but unfortunately I was stuck at work for most of the day in the super busy tourist town that I work. There were some good moments though, like the mini parade that passed by the theatre where I was selling tickets, and a guitarist who sat on the sidewalk singing to the people walking by. Although I was stuck inside a boiling hot ticket booth for most of the day it was impossible to be miserable because of the enthusiasm of everyone who was in the area.

As I sat at work yesterday I started thinking about all of my favourite books by Canadian authors and thought I would share a couple with you! I'm sure most of you are familiar with some of the more famous Canadian novels out there like Water for Elephants and The Handmaid's Tale, so I decided to pick a couple that you might not have heard of before! I linked the title of each book to Goodreads so that those of your who are more curious can check out the synopsis!
                            
                                              The Girls By Lori Lansens
The Girls follows the story of conjoined twins Ruby and Rose as they reflect upon their lives growing up in rural Canada. This is one of my all time favourite novels because of how unique the story was. The narration in the story was beautiful, and I couldn't help but laugh and cry as Rose and Ruby shared stories about people thinking they are freaks, and their attempt to gain love and acceptence from society. I suddenly have a craving to re-read this book now... maybe I will this summer!

Like The Girls, I really enjoyed The Birth House because of its unique story. Ami McKay went to great lengths to add historical details about midwifes and childbirth during World War 1, which really added to the overall appeal of the novel to me. I remember flying through the pages and wishing that there was more to read when I came to the end. I loved this book so much that I did a happy dance in the used bookstore when I found a copy for sale (I had originally borrowed it from the library), and placed it with great pride on my bookshelf beside many of my other favourite books.        

I had to read this novel for my first year of English in University. At first I was kind of skeptical, as I'm usually not one to enjoy stories about wars, but Three Day Road was absolutely gripping! Full of rich symbolism and historical detail, Three Day Road follows the lives of two Cree friends who become snipers in a Canadian troop of soldiers during World War 1. Inspired by part of a true story, this novel had me reading late into the night! I very rarely read books more than once, but I have already read Three Day Road for a second time! I would love to see it made into a movie one day!

This is the first novel in the Guests of War Trilogy which is a young adult series written by the fabulous Kit Pearson. I read these books when I was about twelve years old and could not get enough of them! The novels follow the lives of siblings Norah and Gavin as they travel from Britain to Canada during World War II in order to escape the constant bombing of their city. In the synopsis of the novel, The Sky is Falling is compared to Anne of Green Gables, and I would have to agree that while the time periods and circumstances are different, this novel has the same spirit and warmth as L.M. Montgomery's classic.

3 comments:

Allison said...

I'm glad you mentioned The Girls - I have a copy of that to read!

Jenny said...

I haven't heard of any of these. :( The Girls and The Birth House both sound very interesting, though. Thanks for sharing.

Myriam Boyer said...

THIS IS GENUINE. NO SCAM. Hi! My name is Myriam Boyer. I want to tell my testimony to the whole world how this great and powerful man called Great Baba helped me to bring back my partner. My man left me for another lady for five years. I almost gave up until my friend advised me and introduced me to this great man whom she met on the internet and how he also helped her. I never believed at first but she encouraged me and i tried to believe and contacted him on his email. I told and explained everything to him and he assured me that he will help me and that i should not worry too much. I believed him and i did all that he asked me to do which i did and it work perfectly and my husband came back to me begging for forgiveness. I am so happy and excited now. I discovered that when my husband came back he even loved me more than the way he used to love me before he left me. Great Baba opened up his eyes to see how much i love him and how much love we ought to share together as one. This is not brain washing contact Great Baba now on his email: Highersolutiontemple@yahoo.com

AND YOU CAN ALSO CHECK HIM ON:

Greatbabaofsolution.blogspot.com

Highersolutiontemple.blogspot.com

THIS IS GENUINE. NO SCAM. Hi! My name is Myriam Boyer. I want to tell my testimony to the whole world how this great and powerful man called Great Baba helped me to bring back my partner. My man left me for another lady for five years. I almost gave up until my friend advised me and introduced me to this great man whom she met on the internet and how he also helped her. I never believed at first but she encouraged me and i tried to believe and contacted him on his email. I told and explained everything to him and he assured me that he will help me and that i should not worry too much. I believed him and i did all that he asked me to do which i did and it work perfectly and my husband came back to me begging for forgiveness. I am so happy and excited now. I discovered that when my husband came back he even loved me more than the way he used to love me before he left me. Great Baba opened up his eyes to see how much i love him and how much love we ought to share together as one. This is not brain washing contact Great Baba now on his email: Highersolutiontemple@yahoo.com

AND YOU CAN ALSO CHECK HIM ON:

Greatbabaofsolution.blogspot.com

Highersolutiontemple.blogspot.com

Post a Comment