Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Little Shadows

The Little Shadows revolves around three sisters in the world of vaudeville before and during the First World War. We follow the lives of all three in turn: Aurora, the eldest and most beautiful, who is sixteen when the book opens; thoughtful Clover, a year younger; and the youngest sister, joyous headstrong sprite Bella, who is thirteen. The girls, overseen by their fond but barely coping Mama, are forced to make their living as a singing act after the untimely death of their father. They begin with little besides youth and hope, but Marina Endicott’s genius is to show how the three girls slowly and steadily evolve into true artists even as they navigate their way to adulthood among a cast of extraordinary characters – some of them charming charlatans, some of them unpredictable eccentrics, and some of them just ordinary-seeming humans with magical gifts.




There are several reasons why I'm excited about the release of Marina Endicott's new novel The Little Shadows on September 27th, so I've decided to list them all for you one by one!
- I have a fascination with everything dealing with the world of vaudeville
- It is set during one of my favourite time periods...around World War 1
- Marina Endicott is a Canadian writer, and I have a deep appreciation for Canadian literature
- the plot just sounds fantastic!
But to tell you the truth the first thing that really caught my attention about this book was the cover. I love the old feel it is given through the colours and appearence as if it is made from old paper. I look forward to picking up a copy of this book, and really hope that its as good as I think it will be!

5 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

Ooh, nice pick! I love the sound of it,

Cecelia said...

I love books set in the World War I era, too, though they inevitably make me cry buckets. This one sounds very interesting and entertaining. Great pick!

If you'd like, you can check out my WoW here.

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

I love the cover! And a book about vaudeville? Awesome! I'm a new follower :) My Wow is here if you want to check it out.

Truly Bookish said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This books sounds really interesting and the cover is beautiful...
NC
Truly Bookish

Ikhlas said...

Sounds interesting- will have to definitely check it out :)

Post a Comment