Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Pledge





Words are the most dangerous weapon of all. 
In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she’s spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed. 

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can’t be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country’s only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.

I am really anxious for this novel to be published for several reasons! Reason number one should be the most obvious by now if you are a frequent visitor to my blog....I am a huge dystopian fan, so of course The Pledge is right up my alley! What really intrigues me about this book the most, however, is its focus on language. It's kind of funny because if I was granted any wish in the world (besides world peace and all that stuff) I would choose to be able to speak and understand every language in the world. This is kind of a funny wish for me considering I'm a slightly shy person by nature, but I've always had a deep love and appreciation for languages. I took french up to grade 12 in high school (yay Canada!), and then Spanish during my first year of university, but my inability to practice them on a daily basis has kind of made me lose my grasp on them. Anyways! I am really interested to see how the plotline of The Pledge goes and I hope it ends up being a good quality dystopian! The Pledge is set to be published on November 15th. 

8 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This does look captivating...thanks for sharing.

Here's MY WOW POST

Jacquelynne.Marie said...

Wow, this looks great! Right up your alley :) Fabulous choice !!

Selina said...

I have this one on my wish list for exactly the same reasons! Really curious to see how the language aspect will play out. Can't wait!

Check out my WOW for this week!

Jenny said...

I'm excited for this one! I've always wanted to speak a bunch of different languages too. There's something about being able to talk to anyone that thrills me. At least you can speak more than one language. I'm stuck with just one. :(

kaye (paper reader) said...

This post makes me ridiculously happy. I love languages and as soon as I saw the word my brain did a switch and I almost switched off of English before I caught myself. And dystopian? Oh, gosh, I'm so excited for this book.

Rachel said...

I really like dystopian as well and can't wait for this one! Great pick!

My WOW: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday-12.html

P.E. said...

Great pick! I'm really curious about the language aspect in The Pledge too!

Ikhlas said...

Ooh sounds interesting! Can't wait for it to come out :)

Post a Comment