Friday, 12 August 2011

Book Review: Generation Dead


Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. She’s strong and silent…and dead.
All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn’t want them.
The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the “differently biotic." But the students don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the “living impaired” from the people who want them to disappear—for good.
When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?


I had to sit and think about this book for a while before writing my review. Generation Dead is one of those difficult books for me to sort my feelings about because there were aspects that made me both love and hate my time spent reading it. To express these thoughts more fully let's start with the things that I loved about this book....

Things I Loved:
- That the author took a common theme of tolerance and made it new by applying it to a world where zombies exist
- Adam's POV, which quickly made him my favourite character. I feel like Daniel Water's writing as Adam was stronger, and almost wish that the whole book had been written with him as the main character rather than Pheobe
- I think the overall plot of Generation Dead was really creative, although it could have been executed in a better fashion

Things That I Disliked:
- I found the character of Phoebe really annoying! I know she was trying to make a difference and everything... but her mood swings drove me a little crazy!
- While the theme of tolerance was well placed in this book, I think the author took it a little bit overboard. It kept coming up over and over again! I got the idea the first time and didn't need to have it thrown at me every two seconds! 
- The book felt slow at times. I think a lot of the time Phoebe and Adam spent becoming friends with the zombies could have been condensed a little bit. I know the length of this process makes it a little more realistic, but it also makes the book a bit boring. Luckily the plot speeds up again near the end and had me gripped in anticipation of what was going to happen next.

So as you can see, there were aspects of Generation Dead that made me really enjoy it, but others which made me lower my opinion of the overall book. At the end of the first book I was really "dying" (pun intended) to read the second one in the series... but that was mainly because I was interested to see what would happen to Adam, and not due to my dedication to the actual series itself. While I wouldn't run out to the store to buy it, Generation Dead is a book to consider reading if you are a fan of zombie fiction. The only zombie novel I've ever read besides this one is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and I have to say that Generation Dead is a real improvement on the genre! Nevertheless, I wouldn't go into reading Generation Dead with high expectations. It's an enjoyable read, but like many other novels out there, it is not without its drawbacks. 

Rating: 3 Stars

4 comments:

P.E. said...

I agree with you! I only liked Adam and Karen. And I was so surprised and upset at the ending. Generation Dead felt weird to me. Not sure if it's a good weird but at least it was memorable. Try Passing Strange after you've read the next Generation Dead book. It's in Karen's perspective and I liked it much better.

Ikhlas said...

Wow the concept sounds so interesting! Its too bad it wasn't executed well :(

TG said...

First things first, I must award you this.:-)

Second of all, I love zombie stories and I really like the premise of this one - it sounds like a teen version of Torchwood: Miracle Day. Very good review, as always; I'm glad I know about the flaws, but it sounds like it might still be worth a read if you're a zombie fan.

If you've only read this and P&P&Zombies, can I recommend The Forest of Hands and Teeth and World War Z? Those are 2 great zombie novels.

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

I've seen this cover around, but I don't think I'd ever read the summary or really heard anything about it. The whole zombie aspect sounds interesting, but maybe this will be one I'll get from the library instead of buying. Thanks for the review!

Post a Comment