Monday, 29 August 2011

Fan Expo 2011!!

So the weekend that I have been waiting for all summer long has finally come! This past Thursday marked the beginning of Fan Expo 2011, which ended yesterday night. For those of you unfamiliar with Fan Expo, it is basically the Canadian version of Comic Con, and takes place in Toronto once a year at the end of August. What I love about Fan Expo is the way it integrates so many of my favourite things into one event: Science Fiction, Movies, Art, Comics, and Anime! Not to mention the shopping! I always have to restrain myself and only bring a certain amount of money to make sure that I don't go overboard!

Cowboys and Aliens vs Carmen Sandiego!
This year I went to Fan Expo with my boyfriend (Tom), my brother (Duncan), and his friend Karol. To make things a little more interesting this year Tom persuaded me and Duncan to release our inner child and dress up in costumes for the day. Anyone who has ever seen pictures of either Fan Expo or Comic Con knows that these events can get pretty insane when it comes to costumes! The costumes that some people come up with are so creative and detailed that you can't help but stand in awe of their creations!

We decided to keep our costumes on the easy side with Tom as Daniel Craig from Cowboys and Aliens, Duncan as Waldo, and me as Carmen Sandiego! When I first arrived at Fan Expo I figured that know one would know who I was dressed up as and that everyone would think I was some lunatic in a red trench coat, but I was approached by tons of people all day wanting pictures and saying how much they loved my idea! People thought it was hilarious that Waldo and Carmen Sandiego were walking around together considering they are two of the most elusive figures in popular culture! Overall I'm so glad that Tom convinced me to dress up as it made the whole experience of Fan Expo so much more enjoyable!

Waldo with three Links
Some highlights from this years Expo included guest appearances from Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), Anthony Daniels (C-3P0), and Hayden Panettier (Heroes). It was funny how well these famous stars blended in with the crowd, and at one point my friends and I were standing right next to both Hadyen Panettier and Kevin Sorbo! The artists at Fan Expo were super exceptional this year as well, and I came home with about two dozen business cards so that I can look up some more of their work from home. In fact, I've been thinking about starting a new weekly meme to help share some of these artists with everyone here on my blog because they are just so amazing! Anyways, I could go on for days about all the hilarious and entertaining things that happened at Fan Expo this year, so instead I will leave you with a few pictures from our day...and who knows... maybe I'll see some of you their next year!

                Darth Vader found Waldo... and the killed him!                              The Team Rocket Balloon from Pokemon!


Tom, Karol and Duncan with the guy from Reboot

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks like fun. I'm not brave enough to dress up for things like that, though. I love everyone's costumes.

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

That looks so awesome! Really neat that you dressed up too :)

Post a Comment