Friday, 23 September 2011

Book Review: Nevermore



Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. 

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. 

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

With school getting a little crazy this past week (yay 5 assignments due in the second week of school!), Nevermore was the perfect way to unwind at the end of each homework filled night. This dark romance/fantasy was both unique and thrilling, and there were many nights where I stayed up much later then I should have in order to find out what happens next. Kelly Creagh has this talent where she seems to end almost every chapter in a mini cliffhanger to keep her readers hanging on!


There were many things that I loved about this book, the first of it being its focus on Edgar Allen Poe. As an English graduate I treasure every literary reference I can find in  novels, and I especially enjoyed the fact that the author actually incorporated passages of Poe's writing  into the text. I think this helped to really create the overall mood of death and despair in the novel. I also loved the characters which Creagh created. They were well written, especially the villains! The anger and hate I held for Brad and Pinfeathers only goes to show that they played their respective roles as bad guys really well! Readers also can't help but like Isobel and Varen (anagram for Raven!?) as they try to form a relationship that no one else around them approves of. I really appreciated the fact that Varen was a different kind of love interest for once. Sure he had the typical brooding mystery going on around him, but readers discover that there's a lot more to this goth then meets the eye! 


If there was one thing that I didn't enjoy about Nevermore it would be the fact that readers are left with little to no answers at the end of book and a giant cliffhanger! I'm dying to find out what happens next, and who Reynolds is, and what exactly is going on with this dream world! Thankfully the sequel is coming out in August 2012, and I expect to hopefully receive the answers to my questions then! Overall Nevermore was a fast paced read that kept me going until I reached the last page! 


Rating: 4 Stars

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, I'd heard this one was good and I have it on my TBR list but now I'm even more excited. I thought the second one was out already, though???

Natalie said...

I thought the second one would be out a well but I checked online and I guess the author justtook longer to write the sequel? Especially since nevermore came out in 2010!

Erica said...

This one looks so good, I bought it the day it came out and haven't read it yet. I need to do some soon! :)

Jacquelynne said...

Wow, this is a great review !! Sounds very likely something I'd read :P ... On my TBR list it'll go lol.

ANNNNND! I haven't been by in a while and wow you changed everything around, I LOVE IT!!! Awesome layout and colours and I love the little post its on the sides :)

Ikhlas said...

Sounds good! Been wanting to read this for awhile now...

TG said...

I've been put off reading this one because of the guy on the cover. Shallow, I know. I didn't realise it was about Edgar Allen Poe's stories...you'd think the title would have clued me in, but books are always using classic titles, when the use of them in the text is negligible. I'm a lot more interested in this book now and suppose I will have to just get past the cover. So, congrats! Your review has done its job and made me want to read this book :-)

Natalie said...

Haha thanks TG....ya the guy on the cover kind of put me off as well...but when you start reading the book I think you can't help but form your own image of the protagonists in your head despite what they may look like on the cover :)

Post a Comment