Thursday, 29 September 2011

Book Review: The Restorer


My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe.
It started with the discovery of a young woman's brutalized body in an old Charleston graveyard I've been hired to restore. The clues to the killer—and to his other victims—lie in the headstone symbolism that only I can interpret. Devlin needs my help, but his ghosts shadow his every move, feeding off his warmth, sustaining their presence with his energy. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I've vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the symbols lead me closer to the killer and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.

I haven't really read any adult fiction for a while now, so when I saw The Restorer at the library I decided to pick up a copy after hearing so many wonderful things about it from other bloggers! I'm not usually a lover of mystery/crime/suspense novels, but The Restorer has certainly changed my mind! I fell head over heels into this book within the first couple of chapters! Perhaps it was the added touch of the paranormal and romance that made me enjoy this book more than I usually do for crime stories, but I absolutely adored it! The Restorer kept me up reading way past my bedtime, and was the cause of many tired mornings trying to wake up for school.

One of the things I loved most about this book was the fact that the relationships between the various characters seemed very real. Rather than rushing the potential romance between Devlin and Amelia, it is slowly developed, adding not only tension, but a natural progression to the novel. I also loved the fact that Amanda Stevens decided to give her main character the ability to see ghosts. While many other books have utilized the whole "I can see dead people" thing before, I think the fact that it was put into the setting of a murder case really added a new twist. Amanda Stevens' writing was also superb, and the flow of her prose often made me feel more like I was watching a movie rather than reading a book. She ended each chapter with the perfect hook to leave me wanting more!

While I absolutely adored this novel, there were one thing that I was a little picky about. This by no means spoils the book, and I just had to comment on it cause it was bugging me so much! In the novel one of the characters has a relative who was investigated as a suspect for a similar murder in the past. Nevertheless, said character is allowed to join in the current investigation and help to exhume the bodies. Can you say conflict of interest? I'm pretty sure in the real world anyone connected to someone who is a potential suspect is not allowed to touch the evidence! That was the one thing I kept thinking about over and over again! I suppose in fiction authors can get away with something like that. 

Despite this minor flaw I still loved everything about The Restorer , and I am desperate to read the next book in the series, The Kingdom, which is set to be released in April 2012! I'm really looking forward to finding out what happens to Amelia and Devlin next! 

Rating: 5 Stars

3 comments:

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

This one sounds really good! Like you, it's been a while since I've read any regular fiction, but in high school I used to love romantic suspense novels. I think I'll give this one a shot. Great review!

Ikhlas said...

Heard so many good things about this one!

Ceska said...

Unfortunately he's haunted and Amelia is attracted to him like no man she's ever known. As the bodies pile up, Amelia is drawn into the investigation and closer to the man she knows she should stay away from. Add a secret society, shadows in the night, a cyber-stalker and, of course, Devlin's ghosts and you have a book that keeps you on the edge of your seat from page one to The End.

Post a Comment