Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Book Review: We'll Always Have Summer









It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.



With my summer coming to a close, what better book to finish my whirlwind of reading but Jenny Han's We'll Always Have Summer. I'm so happy that I found out about this series from one of my fellow bloggers, Yaseena from Sweet Unrest, as I fell head over heels in love with each book! 

We'll Always Have Summer picks up right where the second book left off, and immediately threw me back into the emotional roller coaster that is Belly's life. One of the things that I have loved most about these books is the fact that readers get to continually see how the characters have developed and matured over time. In We'll Always Have Summer, it is especially evident that Belly has changed a lot from her early days at Cousins Beach. Sure she can still be a little bit annoying and daft at times, but thankfully she is no longer a spoiled little girl. Conrad and Jere too have changed significantly throughout the books. After Conrad broke Belly's heart in It's Not Summer Without You, I never thought that I would ever like him again, but his narration in this novel really changed my mind by allowing readers to see things from his perspective for once. 

The plot of this last book was especially heart wrenching for me as a reader. I don't want to say too much about what happens in order to avoid spoilers, but I realized how emotionally connected I had become to the characters based on the amount of times throughout the story I found myself feeling like I was going to cry. The ending was a little bittersweet for me, but Jenny Han's conclusion was necessary to bring some sort of closing to the other characters.  Overall, We'll Always Have Summer was the perfect ending to a pretty much perfect series. My only wish is that there were more books to come as I'm dying to read more about Belly, Jere, Conrad, and life at Cousins Beach. Perhaps a spin-off series with their children?? I could only hope!


Rating: 5 Stars

3 comments:

Kristan said...

I haven't read the first books in this series, but with summer just about over, I may quickly pick them up as my "End-of-summer-reads". They sound really sweet and I love stories that take place near the beach. Great review!

Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

Renu said...

I loved this book too! I also felt emotionally connected to the characters - such an awesome read!

Jenny said...

K, I'm terrified of spoilers so I skimmed your review. I need to finish up this series. I'm dying to know how it all ends.

Post a Comment