Friday, 9 September 2011

Follow Friday (3)



Follow Friday is a weekly event hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.
This week's question is:
Have you ever wanted a villain to win at the end of a story? If so, which one? 

Hmmm.... For some reason the very first thing that popped into my head was Linden from Lauren DeStefano's book Wither. While he is not really the main villain of the story, the fact that he marries Rhine against her will sets him up to have villainous tendencies. As the novel goes on, however, readers learn more about Linden and his past, and I'm assuming that most would come to sympathize with his position (at least I did). I couldn't help but feel sorry for Linden and the tragedies he has had to go through. It's not really his fault that his father is the biggest dick in the world! While its pretty obvious that Rhine is destined to have a romantic relationship with Gabriel, I couldn't help but wish she would run away with Linden instead. I found Gabriel's character flat and static, but Linden's ability to open up to Rhine really made me root for him in the end!


PS. If you haven't already then enter my 100 Follower giveaway for your chance to win your choice of any book that I have reviewed here on the site! :) Contest ends next Saturday!

8 comments:

Neri said...

I haven't read this series, but I had a hard time coming up with a villain that I sided with.

Kristan said...

It seems like a lot of people are having a hard time coming up with a villain they've rooted for over the main character. This is a good example of one, however. Although I really did like Gabriel, I also fell for Linden. I think we get to see Linden more in the story, especially his character and relationship development, so its easier to connect with him. Even though I was glad that Rhine escaped with Gabriel, I did still feel a tug at my heart for poor Linden.

Kristan @ Lost Amognst the Shelves

Jessi said...

Linden was my pick too. :-) He was almost impossible not to root for!

Happy Friday! New follower stoppin' by!
Jessi @ Reading in the Corner

Izzy G. said...

Hi, I'm Izzy and I'm stopping by for Follow Friday! I loved Wither, but unlike you, I'm a Gabriel fan. I can see the appeal of Linden, though, and I don't dislike him.

Izzy @ My Words Ate Me

kaye (paper reader) said...

I was just going to mention that Jessi also picked Linden, and there she is! I liked them both, but Gabriel just seemed to fall flat for me in some places. I didn't entirely love Linden, but I really like the possibility of him. Once he realises just what his father is doing I think he's going to have so much potential.

Kathy said...

Oooh, I chose Linden as well!!

Happy weekend.

TG said...

I still haven't read Wither but I'm about to. Glad to know that there are such complex characters.

Karis Jacobstein said...

I totally agree. He's going to be so crushed and he's so sweet and had no idea what his dad is doing. Poor Linden!

http;//yalitwit.blogspot.com

Post a Comment