Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Dovekeepers


In 70 CE, nine hundred Jews held out for months against armies of Romans on a mountain in the Judean desert, Masada. According to the ancient historian Josephus, two women and five children survived. Based on this tragic historical event, Hoffman weaves a spellbinding tale of four extraordinary, bold, resourceful, and sensuous women, each of whom has come to Masada by a different path. Yael’s mother died in childbirth, and her father never forgave her for that death. Revka, a village baker’s wife, watched the horrifically brutal murder of her daughter by Roman soldiers; she brings to Masada her twin grandsons, rendered mute by their own witness. Aziza is a warrior’s daughter, raised as a boy, a fearless rider and expert marksman, who finds passion with another soldier. Shirah is wise in the ways of ancient magic and medicine, a woman with uncanny insight and power. The lives of these four complex and fiercely independent women intersect in the desperate days of the siege, as the Romans draw near. All are dovekeepers, and all are also keeping secrets—about who they are, where they come from, who fathered them, and whom they love.
 

I first heard about The Dovekeepers from my friend Chelsey's blog, and to say I'm intrigued by it is an understatement! I love books that have a historical setting, and the time period for this novel is certainly interesting! I've actually heard about what happened at Masada before thanks to a very thrilling episode of Destination Truth (I'm secretly in love with Josh Gates!). Apparently, after holding out on the Romans for months, Masada became the site of one of the worlds largest mass suicides (and is now haunted...according to Josh Gates!). The tragedy of Masada has me really curious as to how Hoffman plans to weave this tale. The Dovekeepers hits store shelves October 4th, and I'm definitely going to be in line to pick up a copy! If anything, check out the Destination Truth episode about Masada....it gave me the chills! Here is a link to a clip from the episode!  

7 comments:

Jill said...

I love her books...nice pick!

Anne said...

Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite authors. I am really looking forward to this one too!

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

This one looks interesting! It was on last months Galley Grab if you want to check it out! Also, you are reading The Restorer at the moment? I really want to read that one. I'll definitely be back to check your review!

My WoW is up on my blog. :)

Giselle said...

I'm not really into historical books but this cover is really creepy! I heard of this author though.

Giselle
Xpresso Reads
Don't forget to enter my giveaway for an ARC of Legend.

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

I absolutely LOVE this cover! It's just so awesome. And obvs the story sounds great too--I love some historical fiction every once in a while. Great pick!

Crystal said...

I am starting to love historical novels more and more and I know so little about this time. This book sounds so fascinating and it sounds like it is presented in such a way that keeps the reader captivated. I will have to add this one to my wishlist - at least we don't have long to wait :)

Here is my WoW.

Ikhlas said...

This one looks so cool!

Post a Comment