Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Springsweet




It’s a long way from Baltimore to Oklahoma Territory. But Zora Stewart will go any distance to put the tragic events of her sixteenth summer behind her. So this city girl heads to the tiny frontier town of West Glory to help her young widowed aunt keep her homestead going. 

When another Baltimorean shows up in West Glory, Zora couldn’t be more surprised. Theo de la Croix made the long trip out west hoping to court Zora, whom he has long admired from afar. 

But Zora has developed an attraction to a rather less respectable fellow: Emerson Birch, a rough-mannered young "sooner" whose fertile land is coveted. 

As Zora begins to suspect that there may be more than luck behind Emerson’s good land, she discovers an extraordinary, astonishing power of her own: the ability to sense water under the parched earth. When her aunt hires her out as a "springsweet" to advise other settlers where to dig their wells, Zora feels the burden of holding the key to something so essential to survival in this unforgiving land. 

Even more, she finds herself longing for love the way the prairie thirsts for water. Maybe, in the wildness of the territories, Zora can finally move beyond simply surviving and start living.

I won't lie...the first thing that drew me to this book was its gorgeous cover! I almost want to frame it it's so pretty! After glancing at the plot description, however, I realized that this novel looks like it is exactly the kind of book I would love to dig into and read. I absolutely adore love stories...and even more so love stories that are set in the past! My mom got me addicted to Little House on the Prairie as a kid, so I usually enjoy anything set in frontier towns or the West. For those reasons I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of The Springsweet in April!  

4 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

Oh wow that cover is definitely gorgeous, and I would be been attracted to it as well! lol. This sounds like such a sweet love story! :) I am such a sucker for romance, haha. And I love how it takes place in the past (such a sucker for history :P) AND in the country, kind of, lol. Very nice setting with a bit of paranormal ideas, and a great love story? Looks like you have yourself a great Sunday afternoon read :)

(PS: MISS YOU! lol)

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) said...

Wow, I have not heard of this yet! It really sounds great and the cover is amazing! I can't wait to check it out!

Lisa
Lisa's World of Books, Waiting on Wednesday

Kristan said...

OMG I love Little House on the Prairie. My aunt got me hooked when I was like 12 and now I'm always checking the Hallmark channel to see if its on. I've got this added to my wishlist now, it sounds great and like you said, who doesn't love a good romance on the frontier?

My WoW

Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

I hadn't seen this one before, but now I really want it. The cover is gorgeous, obvs. And I love books that are set in the past and have a magical element. Thanks for sharing!

Here's my WoW, if you want to check it out.

Post a Comment