Sunday, 9 October 2011

Arc Review: Clockwork Prince



In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. 
Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

Talk about an epic page-turner! When I first started reading Cassandra Clare’s Clockwork Prince, which is set to be published December 6th, I was slightly hesitant. Although I did enjoy the first book in this series, Clockwork Angel, it had started out a little slow for my taste. Clockwork Prince, however, had me hooked from page one! With the Magister’s identity finally known to the Clave, the author didn’t have to spend so much time on giving out background information to set up the plot. Instead, the novel picks up right where it left off, amidst the tension of the characters who are now desperately seeking the whereabouts of Mortmain.

The romance plot in Clockwork Prince steps it up a notch as well! If any of you were left stuttering like me after the cliffhanger of the first novel, just wait until you read the first chapter of this book! The tension of the love triangle between Will, Tessa, and Jem heats up big time, leaving me with as many conflicting emotions as Tessa herself! Although I have always been one of Will’s biggest supporters, I can’t help but consider Jem as a strong contender now for Tessa’s heart as well.

Overall, Clockwork Prince was a breath-taking and fascinating read! I caught myself daydreaming about it a couple of times during school, aching to be reading it curled up in bed instead of listening to a boring lecture about standard deviation. My only complaint would be that unlike Clockwork Angel, there was no epic cliffhanger at the end of this one! I know…I know! I always complain about how I hate cliffhangers and the way that they make me hang on desperately for the next book…but in the case of Clockwork Prince I’m already dying to find out what happens….so what’s the harm in throwing me a little bone to mull over for the next year until Cassandra Clare publishes the third book? That isn’t to say that the book ends on a wrapped up note. The last sentence caused me to gasp in surprise, but I was expecting a bit more. Maybe the author will make it a little more epic before the book is published and add some crazy epilogue… I can only hope!

Anyways… lovers of Clockwork Angel will fall head over heels for this book! If you haven’t already read the first book in The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, then I suggest you get started NOW! Like I said before, I personally found the first book a little bit slow at times, but Clockwork Prince more then makes up for it! It is definitely worth picking up a copy when it hits store shelves in December (make sure to add it to your Christmas list!).

Rating: 5 Stars

3 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

I am totally crying on the inside the suspense of reading this review and then having to wait until December 6th is just heartbreaking! I am so glad it picks up, and finally we get to know who the Magister is as well ... YAY! Love triangle, gotta me Y.A. favorite thing to do with romance, lol. I'm still rooting for Will though, hehe. Fantastic review Natalie! :)

Jacquelynne said...

Correction: Just realized we already know who the Magister is in the first one at the end of the book, lol. Wow i need to brush up time for a re-read, I think so!! :) Although still good thing we don't need to be filled in on back ground info, more time for Will and Jem :D hahahaha!

Jenny said...

Well, I hope I can trust all you guys. I bought Clockwork Angel at Costco the other day. ;)

Post a Comment