Friday, 14 October 2011

Before Stephanie Meyer there was.......... Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Last night my friend and I were sitting through another boring cataloguing class where we were learning about how some authors use a variety of names or pseudonyms, and the way that these get put into a library system. (Side note: who ever would have guessed how much work goes into putting one library book into a catalogue! You have to input all of these stupid codes called MARC that are a lot like HTML, and there is a rule book the size of an encyclopaedia!) Anyways..I digress. Rather than looking up the  list of the authors that the prof had given us to check for differences in their names, we decided to search for some of our favourite authors instead. As I was typing away I looked over to my friend's screen and was surprised to see her typing in the name of Amelia Atwater-Rhodes.

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes!!! I was so excited! In a world now saturated with paranormal authors it is rare that I meet anyone these days who has even heard of this author, let alone is a fan of her books. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is a YA author who wrote her first book, In the Forests of the Night when she was just 14 years old. I first stumbled upon her in grade 8, when a friend of mine let me borrow her copy of Hawksong, a shapeshifter story reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet. Needless to say I was hooked! Over the course of a month I went through every book she had written up to that point in time. Her novel Demon in My View was actually the first vampire novel that I ever read!

I guess the purpose of this post is to show Ms. Atwater-Rhodes a little appreciation. In my mind she is the original queen of vampire teen fiction, as she published her stories way before the Twilight craze hit. As my friend and I did some more searching we were happy to discover that she actually published a new book this past January called All Just Glass, which I will definitely have to check out at the library. If I had to suggest one book by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes for you to pick up and read it would be Hawksong for sure. This is the book that first made me fall in love with this author, and the series it was turned into is phenomenal (at least that's what I thought in high school).

Are there any authors from when you were a teen that you still hold a special place in your heart?

4 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

OH MY GOSH!! I totally remember reading these books!! I still have them somewhere in my boxes full of books! I absolutely adored Hawksong and the books that followed!! lol. Thanks for the info on cataloging, I always enjoy your lecture orientated posts, lol :)

Jenny said...

I know this author. Not well, I've only read Hawksong, but at least I know her. I wasn't blown away by Hawksong but that might be an age thing. I need to try a different book by her and give it another try.

Natalie said...

Jackie: Haha I'm glad you enjoy my lecture oriented posts...I have to vent somewhere and so it often ends up on my blog :P

Jenny: I feel like if I were to re-read some of her books now I wouldn't enjoy them anywhere near as much as I did when I was 13... The YA genre has certainly adapted over the past 5 years giving readers much better quality novels then when I was in high school.

Rida (Raindrop Reflections) said...

I've read a book or two by this author, and I KNOW- she came along WAY before the Twilight craze, and she goes sadly underappreciated.

And since I'm still a teen- an MG book that I love to death is Artemis Fowl. I mean, it's VERY famous, but still. I had a major crush on Artemis Fowl for a long time :)

Post a Comment