Monday, 24 October 2011

Booktacular Costumes: Halloween for Book Lovers!

I can't believe Halloween is only one week away! As always I've left the task of finding a costume to the last minute. I stopped by my local costume store this past weekend to browse, but I was unimpressed by both the insane cost and lack of originality when it came to their costume selection. It seems like people looking for great costume ideas are left up to their own imagination. As a result, I spent the past few hours searching online for creative book-related costumes for Halloween. There were so many great ideas that I just had to share some of them here on my blog. It was difficult to narrow it down...so here are just a few of my personal favourites!

1. Edgar Allen Poe
This costume is quick and easy for any guy to put together! All you really need is a suit...a   moustache...and a raven to sit upon your shoulder! I really like the "Nevermore" quote bubble coming out of the raven's mouth too. It gives it that extra special touch!


2. Arthur
I have yet to meet a person who did not love either reading the Arthur books or watching the tv show when they were a kid. I was personally obsessed with it! Grab a yellow cardigan, a white dress shirt, a pair of glasses, and make a headband with ears and you are all set to go! 

3. Animorphs
Am I the only one who remembers this hit series from back in the 90s? I loved the Animorphs' covers and how they showed each character morphing into a different animal or creature. I suppose this costume only makes sense with a group...and you would have to walk around in a line all night....but I just thought it was too creative to pass up sharing!



4. Emily Elizabeth 
I could not get enough of Clifford the Big Red Dog growing up...and he continues to remain a hit with younger generations today. I'm in love with this costume for so many reasons....it's cute...it's simple...and the added touch of Clifford's big red leg just pulls it all together! 

5. Katniss Everdeen
With the movie set to be released next year, I'm sure the amount of people dressing up as Katniss will triple in future Halloweens to come. I bet that Katniss character costumes will soon become as popular as kids dressing up like wizards from Harry Potter! 


6. Sylvia Plath
The first thing that Sylvia Plath is most well known for is her novel The Bell Jar. The second thing most people know about Sylvia Plath is the circumstances of her tragic death. Plath died after placing her head in an oven with the gas turned on. While this costume is somewhat morbid... I have to say that it is definitely creative! 


7. Mary Poppins 
This is my dream costume! I love Mary Poppins! Little known fact...it was a book before Disney made it into a movie! If it wasn't for the fact that Halloween is only a week away I would be hunting down a seamstress right now to put this outfit together for me! I would be singing the songs from the movie all night long..."Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!"


What are some of your costume plans for this halloween? Are there any other literary characters that you would love dressing up as?

4 comments:

Anne said...

Great post! I love the Arthur costume, so cute. My five year old watches Arthur every day!

Jenny said...

Those are all fun. I can't decide which one I like best, though. I look forward to see what you choose.

TG said...

Oh, the Sylvia Plath one is too morbid for me! But I love the Mary Poppins costume.

Chelsey said...

This is fantastic! I agree with the Sylvia Plath being morbid but quite creative! I loved The Bell Jar .. such a beautifully written book!

Post a Comment