Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Top Eight Books to Read for Halloween!

What better way to get yourself in the mood for Halloween then some creepy books to give you a scare! Who needs scary movies when you can get just as much terror from a book?!? Here are my top eight recommendations for books that are perfect to read during the Halloween season....

Probably one of the creepiest books that I have ever read! The suspense of this novel will really put you on the edge of your seat as you try to figure out what is really going on in Rosemary's new apartment. Levin's story still haunts me to this day. Between murders and demons, this book is perfect for fans of The Exorcist!

2. The Bloody Chamber
In this collection of short stories, Angela Carter re-imagines the darker side of fairytales, including Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, and Little Red Riding Hood. These creepy and dark stories of murder, blood, and sexual deviancy will both captivate and repulse you. If you ever wondered about the true origins of some of your favourite fairytales...this book is definitely for you!

3. The Shining
Having heard from countless people over the years that The Shining movie was both mind boggling and terrifying, I watched it last Halloween to see what it was all about. The movie was a snoozefest, however, compared to the original book. Stephen King's novel was both thrilling and creepy! Between the ghosts and murderous rampages I was often left biting my fingernails in suspense! If you haven't seen the movie version yet, I would suggest skipping it altogether and simply read the book. After all, the book is always better than the film!

4. The Monk
A classic, gothic novel from 1796, The Monk will certainly surprise readers when they discover how dark a novel from this century could actually be. Matthew Lewis' story follows the life of Ambrosio, a monk who is tempted into committing some of the most atrocious sins. Between incest, murder, and torture, Ambrosio's decline into hell is both fascinating and repulsive. I had to read this book for one of my English classes a few years ago, and it quickly became one of my favourite books!

 5. Interview with the Vampire
Vampires are one of the creatures most often associated with Halloween, probably because they are called both "the creatures of the night" and "demons." The story of vampires Luis and Lestat is gripping and dark....and they certainly don't sparkle in the sunlight! Skip Twilight this Halloween and read a real vampire novel!


6. The Restorer
Filled with ghosts, murder, and mystery, The Restorer is the perfect paranormal romance novel for readers who are looking for something a little bit lighter on the horror side. While there are still moments of alarm, they are brief and entertaining. The majority of the novel takes place in a graveyard...how much more Halloweeny can you get?

7. Rebecca
I know I've talked about this book about a hundred times on my blog...but its just so good! The suspense and creepiness of the novel took me by complete surprise when I read it for the first time in school a couple of years ago. Readers will be on the edge of their seat as they try to figure out if the narrator is actually being haunted by the ghost of her husband's first wife....or simply going mentally insane!


8. Nevermore
While this YA novel isn't exactly a horror story, its focus on Edgar Allen Poe and demons certainly gives it a creepy edge. Nightmares come to life as Isobel finds herself more closely drawn towards Varen, the school goth. Plus, the plot takes place over the period of Halloween!

7 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

OK! I have to say most if not all these books give me the creeps, lol. ESPECIALLY the Shining by Stephen King, lol! Great picks though :)

Chelsey said...

I love this post! I wish I would have seen it earlier when I went on my Halloween book buying spree! I LOVE Rosemary's Baby! A little over halfway and those Castevet's give me the creeps.

Perhaps one more trip to Chapters is in order for The Restorer, The Monk and The Shining...

Patti Smith said...

I can't believe I forgot Rosemary's Baby....wayyyyyyyyy scarier than the movie ever thought about being!

KThomas5 said...

you have a great list!

DeniseF said...

Rosemary's Baby! I can't believe I forgot that one...it's so scary!

Jenny said...

I haven't heard of some of these. The Monk looks so freaky! I need to read Nevermore one of these days.

Jess said...

Is it weird that I never found The Shining to be scary ?

Post a Comment