Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Top "Five" Tuesday: Books that Left Me With My Mouth Hanging Open

When it comes to reading books, there is nothing better then a great twist in the end that leaves you with your mouth hanging open. It seems to me as if a lot of books have somewhat of a predictable ending, at least when it comes to a romance plot, so its nice to be taken by complete surprise when you least expect it! Here are some of the books that have left me standing like a deer caught in the headlights....

City of Bones By Cassandra Clare

Although I could kind of see it coming, nothing prepared me for the ending of City of Bones. I'm sure anyone who has read it knows what I am referring to. Without spoiling it for those who haven't read it yet.... let's just say you find out something interesting about two of the characters!


White Cat by Holly Black

Maybe I was just so caught up in the magic of this book that I didn't see the end coming, but I definitely didn't expect Cassel's final con to turn out the way it did! Oh how I love a good con!

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Is the narrator crazy? Is she being haunted? What really happened to Rebecca? Only the nice twist in the end will let you know the answers to all of these questions and more!

Mockingjay By Suzanne Collins

This book left me with my mouth hanging open for a much different reason....because everything happened so fast! One moment Katniss is leading a team to take down the capitol... and next thing you know the entire book is wrapped up!

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Don't you just love when authors throw in little epilogues at the end that reveals something mysterious about one of the characters? Its like a little shot of adrenaline that makes you desperate to find out what happens next and scream "NOOOOO!" when you realize that the sequel isn't coming out for another year. That pretty much describes exactly what happened to me at the end of Clockwork Angel.

9 comments:

Emily @ Books and Threads said...

Ooh, White Cat's a good one! I tried to block that out of my memory so I don't have to be on pins and needles til April!

My Top Ten is over here if you'd like to stop by!

Trish said...

Rebecca made my list, too. Fantastic book!

Alison Can Read said...

Both White Cat and Red Glove were very surprising to me. I can't wait for the third book.

Jenny said...

Yep, White Cat is on my list too. If the twist at the end of City of Bones hadn't been leaked to me I would have been shocked too. Everyone keeps talking about Clockwork Angel, maybe I should just read it. Sigh!

Kristan said...

I have City of Bones and Clockwork Angel on my list as well. I was a bit more naive and didn't see either ending coming! My mind was blown reading both of them.

My Top Ten Tuesday

Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

Jacquelynne said...

I agree whole heartedly with at least three of these books that yes in fact they left me as well with my mouth slightly ajar and asking how on earth am I going to survive until the next books are published, lol. I haven't had the pleasure of reading White Cat or Rebecca, although I've heard very good things about both - from you! - hahaha.

Shanella said...

Thumbs up for Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier!!! I remember reading the ending and going, "wait, WHAT?!" and I almost start reading the book from the beginning right away. Genius!

Ikhlas said...

Rebecca is sitting on my bedside table...need to read it!

And hahaha yep, definitely know the 'twist' you're talking about with City of Bones.

How was Clockwork Angel? Wasn't the biggest fan of City of Bones series, is this better?

Natalie said...

Ikhlas: Clockwork Angel start out really slowly at the beginning.... I didn't really get into the plot until about halfway through....but then the second half of the book kept me up reading all night and the epilogue made me want to keep reading the series. I'm reading the second book, Clockwork Prince, right now and it is WAY better than the first one so far!

Post a Comment