Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Book Review: Across the Universe


Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Why did it take me so long to finally get to this book!?! I LOVED IT! Beth Revis' debut, Across The Universe is a breathtaking story that successfully combines aspects of romance, science fiction, mystery and suspense all rolled up into one amazing dystopian novel. I devoured this one over the course of a few days, and probably would have finished it even sooner if pesky homework hadn't gotten in the way! It was one of those books that stayed glued to my hands and I just couldn't put down! 

So what did I love so much about Across the Universe? Let's start with the characters. Through the alternating viewpoints of Amy and Elder the reader really gets to understand their individual viewpoints and struggles. Rather than making Elder perfect, Revis allows him to be as flawed as the society in which he lives, and slowly allows the influence of Amy to chip away at his frame of mind.  *Spoiler Alert* I also enjoyed the fact that Elder and Amy do not get together right away, and that by the end of the book their relationship is still teetering on the edge. Having them be together at the end would have been a real betrayal of Amy's character and made things a little too wrapped up considering the current chaos of the ship *End of Spoiler*

Speaking of the ending, that was the next thing that I loved most about Across the Universe. Without giving away any spoilers I will admit that while I foresaw who the murderer was on the ship, I definitely did not see Elder's secret coming! It took me completely by surprise! I always love a good twist at the end that leaves you with your mouth hanging partially open! Needless to say I am eagerly anticipating the next book in this series to see what happens to Elder and Amy as things start to get crazy on the ship. Thankfully the sequel, A Million Suns, is set to be published in January 2012! 

So would I recommend this novel? YES! I thought it was great! While there were a few minor details that irked me at times, the overall story and Revis' writing style made it easy for me to toss these grievances aside. If you love dystopian novels, sci-fi, or simply like a good twist in the end then Across the Universe is definitely for you! 

Rating: 4.5 Stars


9 comments:

Jaskirat@SeeitORreadit said...

I just finished this book today and LOVED it! The pacing is a bit slow but I love the characters and suspense. I can't wait for the sequel. The ending was such a shocker! Great review :)

SeeitORreadit

Renu said...

Ahh, I loved this book! The cover is so pretty. What an awesome combination too - romance, science fiction, and mystery! :D

Awesome review.

- Renu @ the page turner

Chelsey said...

I will admit that I never really paid much attention to this. I see now that I should!! Ps - I am so pumped that you're reading Vampire Academy (referred to from now on as VA, as us addicts call it). This is definitely one of my fave YA series EVER. =)

Jenny said...

Dang, now I'm eyeing my copy and wondering if I can squeeze it in.

Kelly said...

I was the opposite - I totally called Elder's secret, but I had a harder time pinning the murderer. I'm glad you liked it!

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

Okay, I think you've convinced me to read this one :) I'd seen a bunch of mixed reviews, so I wasn't really planning on reading it. But since you loved it so much, I'll have to give it a shot!

Lan said...

I'm dying to read this one but there are so many books in my TBR it's not funny anymore. Doesn't help that so many people have given this such great reviews! I love the idea of sci-fi dystopian, especially one that does alternating viewpoints well.

TG said...

Yay! So glad you loved it. Your opinion mirrors my own - I loved that Elder wasn't perfect and that he screwed up in a big way; it made him human and understandable. I really liked the bittersweet ending and I agree that it was better that there was no big romance between them yet. I can't wait for A Million Suns; only a month left!

Natalie said...

Yes Across the Universe was great! Those of you who haven't read it yet really should! And Chelsey...Vampire Academy is AMAZING so far!! :D

Post a Comment