Thursday, 24 November 2011

Book Review: Born Wicked





Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave. 

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word . . . especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra. 

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

Those of you anxiously anticipating the release of Jessica Spotswood's novel Born Wicked in February will not be disappointed! After drooling over the cover for months now, I was lucky enough to receive an ARC copy, and eagerly began reading it as soon as it was in my hands. I was literally hooked from page one! If it hadn't been for my pesky assignments and the fact that I had to wake up for class at 7 am, I probably would have read the entire novel in one night! Without revealing any spoilers, here is what I loved most about Born Wicked:

The Characters Are Magical:
The Cahill sisters captured me under their spell. The further into the story I went, the more emotionally involved I found myself becoming for their well-being. Even the bratty Maura, a constant source of grievance for Cate, eventually won me over in the end. Cate's independent spirit and stubbornness, however, quickly made her my favourite character. Had she and Elizabeth Bennet ever crossed paths in the 1800s, I'm sure that they would have been fast friends! 

The Plot Keeps You Guessing:
I'm usually pretty good at guessing how a novel is going to end. I suppose you could say that picking out the twists in a book is one of my few talents in life. While I made a bunch of assumptions going into Born Wicked, I was pleasantly surprised to find several of my hypotheses proved wrong! Although I still figured out how the book would ultimately end, there were several little twists and turns throughout the plot that kept me on my toes. There were a few moments towards the last chapter that I definitely didn't see coming at all! These surprises made me enjoy the book  even more, and now I am dying to find out what happens in the rest of the series! 

Boys Who Love Books Can Be Hot Too:
Finally! A book where the main male protagonist isn't a brooding vampire/jock/popular guy who everyone in the novel is tripping over themselves to date! It was really refreshing to discover that Finn was your not typical hero, but rather a scholar who would prefer spending his time reading over sharpening up on his combat skills. That's right everyone! Boys who like books can be sexy too! 

Overall, I really loved Born Wicked, and would definitely recommend picking up a copy when it comes out! This isn't one of those reviews where I simply sing the praises of the book because I was lucky enough to get an ARC. I'll admit, there were a few parts that were irritating at times, like Cate's constant worrying over her sisters. I was able to overlook this irritation, however, because Cate's worry made the book more realistic and kept her true to her character. Born Wicked was a spellbinding read and I only wish that I had taken my time to read it more slowly so that I could savour each delectable moment! 

Rating: 4.5 Stars


4 comments:

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

YAY! I'm so glad you liked this book. I'm really looking forward to it--I'm so jealous you got an ARC :) And Finn sounds absolutely delightful. Great review!

Ikhlas said...

Wow this sounds absolutely amazing!! And the cover is simply gorgeous...definitely going to be checking this out soon :)

Chelsey said...

I just received a copy of this and HAD to come back to read your review before I got too far in. You have a way with words when you speak about books. Any time you enjoy something, I want to go out and buy it immediately!

I'm excited to see if I feel the same about this one as you =). Most likely -- I will!

Natalie said...

Yay Chelsey! So glad to hear you were able to get a copy! I hope you enjoy it! And awww thanks for the compliment! It means a lot coming from you :)

Post a Comment