Thursday, 3 November 2011

Book Review: Fateful Should Have Sank With the Titanic




In Fateful, eighteen-year-old maid Tess Davies is determined to escape the wealthy, overbearing family she works for. Once the ship they’re sailing on reaches the United States, she’ll strike out on her own. Then she meets Alec, a handsome first-class passenger who captivates her instantly. But Alec has secrets.... 

Soon Tess will learn just how dark Alec’s past truly is. The danger they face is no ordinary enemy: werewolves are real and they’re stalking him—and now Tess, too. Her growing love for Alec will put Tess in mortal peril, and fate will do the same before their journey on the Titanic is over. 

Featuring the opulent backdrop of the Titanic, Fateful’s publication is poised to coincide with the 100-year anniversary of the ship’s doomed maiden voyage. It is sure to be a hit among Titanic buffs and fans of paranormal romance alike.

There was a lot of hype surrounding this book and its release. This is the first book I've read by Claudia Gray, and unfortunately I was extremely disappointed. While Fateful was certainly a unique story (werewolves on the Titanic? How weird is that!), it failed to deliver the WOW that I was expecting. I can't even put a finger exactly on what I disliked about this book. Perhaps it was the fact that I already knew what happened to the Titanic (spoiler alert: it hits and iceberg and sinks!) ... so the rest of the book was pretty predictable? And while I usually adore love plots, this one was slightly annoying, and too tragic for my taste.  I never did like the Titanic movie because I was too busy feeling sad for the thousand other people dying rather than poor Rose and Jack! 

Despite my profound disappointment for this novel, there were a few aspects that I did enjoy. For example, I loved the fact that the protagonists in this story were older for once! Tess was described as being 18, and Alec a couple years older then her. As much as I love YA, it was refreshing to have a main character who was not 16 for once! 

Nevertheless, I would recommend Fateful only to readers if they have read and loved Claudia Gray's work before. I'm sure many of her fans will really enjoy it.  If you are still desperate to read it, try borrowing a copy from the library rather than spending your hard earned cash on this one! If anything, Fateful belongs at the bottom of the ocean along with the Titanic!   Too harsh?

2 Stars

8 comments:

Chelsey said...

That last line made me laugh out loud lol. Not every book can be a winner, though I'm sure there are plenty of people who will enjoy it. I think I may have to pass on this one. Great review!

Kristan said...

Oh nosssss! I just bought this book off amazon! Gahhh I wish I read your review sooner lol I did enjoy the movie Titanic, so maybe Fateful won't be too painful for me to read. And by the way, love your spoiler =)

Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

Lea said...

Yikes! That's harsh lol. I absolutely LOVED this book, and I'm pretty picky about giving any book a 5 star review... isn't it crazy how the same book can impact 2 people in completely different ways??

PS~ I love the movie Titanic so maybe that explains things haha.. Kristan I don't think you have anything to worry about ;)

~Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

Natalie said...

Kristan: I wouldn't worry about it too much! You'll probably love it! I just had really high expectations, so I think that my harshness about the book is mainly due to that. If I had gone in not reading a hundred reviews that gave it 5 stars I probably would have actually really enjoyed it!

Lea: Ya it's definitely funny how a book can affect people in completely different ways! Like I told Kristan...I think I'm being cynical because my expectations weren't met....and my hatred for the titanic movie probably really influenced my viewpoint lol

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

Haha, I love this post :) This book never made it on to my TBR because of the whole Titanic aspect. I couldn't sit through the movie so . . . yeah, I figured this book probably wasn't for me. I'm glad it's older YA, though. Great review!

Untouchable Treasure said...

Wow, thank you for this post! I didn't know if Titanic + werewolves (WTF mate?) would work out. I read a very similar book once. It's called Distant Waves and it's by Suzanne Weyn. She tried to do the whole paranormal + Titanic thing too, and it just didn't work out. :/

Sarah Darlington said...

:( That's too bad. I just hope Balthazar is better!

TG said...

I haven't read a Claudia Gray book yet, but from her covers, I did get the feeling she writes very 'emo' romantic fiction, which I have to be in the right mood/frame of mind for. I'm not sure whether I'll try this one...what was the werewolf mythology like? I still like the idea of werewolves on the Titanic, but it depends how it's executed.

Post a Comment