Monday, 21 November 2011

Book Review: Vampire Academy




Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever...

What can I possibly say about Vampire Academy except that I fell absolutely head over heels in love with it!?! And this is coming from someone who generally hates everything to do with books involving vampires. I can't believe I almost let this series pass me by simply because I'm a cover snob. Yes, that's right....I'm one of those people who judges books by their covers (but then again aren't we all?). After being introduced to Razorbill, however, and hearing constant talk about how amazing Vampire Academy is, I finally decided to pick up a copy and give it a try for myself. Thank goodness I did! Here's what I loved so much about the book:

1. A Unique Vampire Story
One of the first things that I loved about Vampire Academy is that it presented what I thought to be a slightly different twist on the over exhausted vampire genre. I think the separation between the Moroi and Strigoi was refreshing and really kept me fascinated in the story. I had never before encountered a story where vampires could potentially age and die like normal human beings, and I think this made it easier for me to get over my usual dislike for vampire fiction. 

2. Rose Kicks Some Serious Ass
I love how Rose wasn't your typical whiny female protagonist who spends half of the book filled with insecurities and feeling sorry for herself. Instead, Rose speaks her mind and isn't afraid to kick some serious ass when people get in her way! While her super close relationship with Lissa was slightly annoying at times, it was understandable considering the bond that they share. 

3. The Love Plot
One of the things I loved most about Vampire Academy, however, was the fact that Rose's love interest was much older then her. Dimitri is described as being 24, a huge leap from the general 16-18 age range found in most YA novels. Finally, a main male character who is older even then me so that I don't feel too weird about pining for him! The age difference between Rose and Dimitri also adds some depth and an interesting conflict to the story!

So would I recommend reading Vampire Academy! Hell yes!! Even if you are like me, and typically hate vampire novels, I think this is one that the majority of YA readers will absolutely enjoy! I'd suggest buying the whole box set if you can, because it is just that addicting! I literally could not put the book down and I am already going through some series Vampire Academy withdrawal. I'll be hitting up my local bookstore soon in order to get my fix!

Rating: 5 Stars!!!

5 comments:

Chelsey said...

I'm so glad you liked it! This is the book that got me into YA (and Yaseena always talking about how good it was). You should hit up the Book Depot! That's where I got my book and they might have the rest of the series there now! Ugh, they are so wonderful! Great review, Nat =)!

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

YAAAAAY!!! I'm so glad you liked VA because I ADORED it. I know what you mean about going through withdrawal--I had to read the whole series back-to-back because I couldn't stop. And I agree that Rose and Lissa's relationship is kinda annoying in the first book, but it gets much better. Also, DIMITRI! Loved your review!

Kate said...

Aw I hope you enjoy the rest of this series! Richelle Mead is an amazing writer; I love all her books :)

Renu said...

I loved the plot and I agree that is unique, but I really disliked Rose!

Awesome review =)

Jenny said...

Yep, I definitely need to get to this series. I've been told I'll love it, I've been told to buy the whole series before hand. I've done that but I just haven't managed to get to them. Soon, soon.

Post a Comment