Friday, 18 November 2011

Dissecting The Hunger Games Trailer

So I can't take full credit for this blog post. I was actually inspired by a slideshow that was done on the Entertainment Weekly website, but their pictures didn't work! I was only able to view the first two slides before the whole page would go crazy and crash on me. Maybe it's just my computer though? Click here to view it for yourself. Anyways! As a result, I decided to do my own version of a Hunger Games trailer dissection... so here it is and I hope you enjoy! I know the pictures are a little fuzzy...that's because they are screen shots. You should also be able to click on them to make them bigger!

One of the first things I have to say is how creeped out I was by Effie's character! I know the make-up and fashion in the capitol is supposed to be unique...but in the trailer she kind of looks like the ghost of some scary clown or something! Am I the only one who thought this? I'm personally terrified of clowns. Oh well...she was never really my favourite character anyways!

I laughed out loud the first time I saw the guards! What is with the whole dressing in white and black thing? Maybe it's in the book...but I don't remember it. Seems like they are trying to personify the Stormtroopers from Star Wars a bit, especially with the helmets! The polo pants are a nice touch haha!

LOVE LOVE LOVE Lenny Kravitz as Cinna! While I've heard other people say that they are worried that he doesn't fit the part, this is totally how I pictured him in my mind while reading the books! I let out a squeal of happiness when I saw him pop up in the trailer!

The first three times I watched the trailer I was confused why there were no scenes showing Katniss and Peeta in their grand flaming entrance. Upon doing a closer inspection thanks to the good old fashioned pause button, however, I discovered that the director did include some sneaky footage of their costumes. In the top picture is a glimpse of Katniss entering the arena, and just below it you can see their horse-drawn carriage through the magnifying glass. This is one of the scenes that I'm most looking forward to seeing, so I hope they do a good job on the whole fire outfit part, especially considering Katniss becomes known as "the girl who was on fire!"

Not a big fan of the gamekeeper in this book, but can I just say how amazing his beard is? I was like "Damn! That is one badass beard!" Kind of makes him look more devilish, which suits his character considering he's the one in charge of making the tributes' lives miserable! 

This scene could only be referring to one thing...Rue's death. Gah! I'm already tearing up!! I'm hoping that this scene in the movie is made as powerful as it was in the book for me. I wonder if Jennifer Lawrence has a good singing voice?

Finally, a touching moment between Katniss and Peeta. I'm assuming this is the scene where they are sitting on the roof together before the games. Looks pretty cozy up there! I'm looking forward to seeing how the love plot in this series gets acted out on the big screen....

Was there anything funny, interesting, devastating, or curious that you noticed about the trailer for the upcoming Hunger Games movie? What scenes/characters from the book are you looking forward to seeing in the movie?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm not horribly obsessed so I've only watched it once. I didn't notice the guards outfits until now and they look absolutely ridiculous. What's with the helmets? They look like they'll be playing a game of polo later on. :)

Anonymous said...

Whats interesting to me is that Prim, if you take a closer look...is the one wearing the mockingjay pin! Then, with an even closer look at the official cast page,I have come to find out that Madge is not a character in the movie at all! Hmmmmm....I wonder how this will pan out...

Post a Comment