Friday, 11 November 2011

Follow Friday: Remembrance Day

In light of 11.11.11 and Remembrance Day, tell us about your favourite solider and how he or she is saving the world. Fictional or real life.

Every Remembrance Day I always stop and think of my great-grandfather. Born in Scotland, he moved to Canada with his family as a teen. When World War 1 broke out, he was still too young to fight, but he lied about his age and joined the war anyways. He managed to survive, but lost most of his closest friends in battle. When World War II rolled around, he was now deemed too old to fight. In his early 50s, his hair was already starting to turn white. Rather than sit this war out, however, he grabbed a bottle of dye, turned his hair black, and signed up to fight again! You would think the horror of one war would be enough for any man! As the hair dye eventually faded away, my great-grandfather became affectionately known amongst his troops as "Snowy." 

Unfortunately, only days before the end of the war was officially announced my great-grandfather hit a land mine as he rode out on a supply trip. After serving in two World Wars, the great Scotsman was finally laid to rest in the Netherlands. I will never forget the sacrifice that my great-grandfather and so many other soldiers made for us all by putting themselves at risk for the rest of the country. Today on Remembrance Day I will wear my poppy proudly to show my respect for the men and women in service to our country both in the past, present, and future. 

My great-grandfather's grave in Holland

4 comments:

Grace Fonseca said...

That post made me very emotional. excellent job.


Grace
Livre De Amour-Books of Love

Ashley said...

This is a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing that story!

The Brunette Librarian said...

Thank you for this post, it's wonderful. Your grandfather was a true hero!

Happy Veteran's Day...or Rememberance Day! :)

http://brunettelibrarian.blogspot.com

Jacquelynne said...

Aww! This is a wonderful post and a wonderful way to remember him :) ... Well done Natalie!

Post a Comment