Saturday, 19 November 2011

The Simpsons Parody Young Adult Novels


I've never been a huge fan of the Simpsons, but you can bet that I will be watching this Sunday night, as the sitcom will be exploring the world of YA novels such as Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and Twilight! According to the LA Times, tomorrow's episode will take on the publishing industry as Homer gets together a team of Springfielders in order to write the ultimate young adult novel. Meant to play off of the classic movie "Ocean's 11," the episode will guest star Neil Gaiman as himself, who joins Homer and his team of writers.
Apparently the idea for this episode was inspired by an article in the New Yorker which discussed Alloy Entertainment, who publishes YA books such as Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries. According to the New Yorker article, Alloy Entertainment develops book ideas through market research and then distributes them to writers who are ultimately published under fake names. In the Simpson's episode, this will be played out through Lisa's discovery that her favourite author doesn't actually exist.
I am pretty excited to see how the episode plans to poke fun at YA books. I think the fact that the Simpsons are basing an entire show on the YA publishing industry only goes to show how much it has grown within the past couple of years! Check out a couple of the stills from the episode below. What do you guys think about the fact that the Simpsons are parodying the YA publishing industry? Will you be watching tomorrow night?



5 comments:

Jessica S. said...

Yes! This is awesome. I can't wait to watch the episode. :) Thanks for sharing!

TG said...

Wow, this sounds so funny! And this might be one episode where I get all the in jokes. I'll definitely give this a watch.

Jenny said...

LOL! I didn't know about this so I'll have to check it out now.

Zoe Crook said...

This is awesome! Thanks for letting us know! :-)

Cana Elene said...

I love your blog! I've chosen you as a recipient of the One Lovely Blog Award.
Happy reading & blogging!
Cana
http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com

Post a Comment