Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Waiting Sky

Seventeen-year-old Jane can’t quite face her mother’s alcoholism even though it sucks to spend all her time and energy keeping them afloat—making sure her mom gets to work, that the bills are paid when there’s money to pay them, and that no one knows her mom is so messed up. But when Jane’s mom drives drunk almost killing both them and Jane’s best friend, Jane can no longer deny her mom is spiraling out of control. Jane has only one place to turn: her older brother Ethan, who left years ago to go to college. A summer away with him and his tornado chasing buddies may just provide the time and space she needs to figure out whether her life still includes her mother.

I'm usually not one for YA novels that focus on serious topics (I like them nice and light and fun!), but this one caught my attention the other day and now I'm really interested in reading it! It sounds as if it will be the kind of book that makes you think a little bit more about the world around you. Plus, I'm really curious to find out more about this brother of hers and his tornado chasing buddies. Ever since the movie Twister I've wanted to go chasing after tornados myself! 

12 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I love this kind of book. Family dysfunction and its effect on the teens...thanks for sharing.

Here's MY WOW POST and
MY WEBSITE

Bailey said...

Wow that cover is awesome. Thanks for sharing this! Going to add this one to my TBR list sounds like a good read. :)

Petra @ Safari Poet said...

I don't read a lot of YA on serious topic either, but am being drawn to them more lately. Good choice!

My WOW

Jacquelynne said...

Awww!! Even though this is such a heavy topic to read about I think this sounds absolutely thrilling and excellent!! Fabulous choice this week :) I'm adding this to my to-read pile ASAP!

Giselle said...

Oh I love the sounds of this one! Awesome pick!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Vicky said...

Oh my, thanks for sharing!! I just added this to my wishlist - it's exactly my cup of tea, I'm sure it's going to be a great read. :o)

Here's my WoW

Vicky @ Books, Biscuits & Tea

Gwenny said...

This book looks like it would be pretty intense! Thanks for sharing. Mine is at http://rantsnscribbles.blogspot.com/2011/11/meme-waiting-on-wednesday-clockwork.html.

Jenny said...

This one does look interesting and that cover is awesome!

Kelly said...

Lol I totally misread the summary, and didn't take the "tornado chasing buddies" literally - I was picturing a bunch of guys living crazy party lives or something...just another sign I've been up for too long! It sounds much more appealing now that I know that they actually chase real tornados! I wanted to be a tornado chaser as a kid :)

Waiting on Wednesday @ Radiant Shadows

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

Ooo, I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds really good. I'm always on the lookout for great contemporaries! Thanks!

Jennifer Messerschmidt said...

I try to avoid really serious books too since I cry like a baby but I just read Saving June which I loved so I have been checking out more books of this type lately.

Check out my WOW It is a super light and fun read!
http://somelikeitparanormall.blogspot.com/2011/11/weekly-meme-hosted-by-breaking-spine.html

The Little Blue Pig said...

New follower ^.^
I LOVE THIS COVER. It's so cool and makes me want to read the book. I haven't heard of this until mentioned here, so I may have to add this to my ever increasing list of to-read's.

-Angela @ The Little Blue Pig

Post a Comment