Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Arc Review: A Million Suns


It's been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. And everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed. But there may just be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to enact his vision - no more Phydus, no more lies.
But when Elder discovers shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.
In book two of the Across the Universe trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Beth Revis mesmerizes us again with a brilliantly crafted mystery filled with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship.
Fans of Across the Universe are going to go absolutely crazy when they get their hands on a copy of A Million Suns in January! The novel starts off a couple of months after the crew of Godspeed has been taken off of Phydus, and chaos is beginning to take over the ship. With those who were once closest to Elder now questioning his ability to act as a leader, a revolution is threatening to tear apart Godspeed's population. To top it all off, amidst this confusion Amy is sent on a wild scavenger hunt in order to reveal a hidden secret about the ship. Needless to say, all of these events rolled up into one book make for a very exciting and thrilling read!
What I loved most about A Million Suns is that Beth Revis continues to supply her readers with a number of surprises and revelations that I never saw coming as a reader. Just when I thought I had the whole story figured out "BAM!" she throws something at me I didn't expect at all. These twists and turns really kept me on my toes  and made the whole reading experience all the more exciting! 
Another aspect that I enjoyed about A Million Suns was the continued narration through the alternating points of view of both Elder and Amy. This style of writing really allows the readers to get a better sense of the individual thought processes of the two main characters, especially during the several times they disagree in this novel. It also really helps to make the reader become more emotionally involved with Amy and Elder, and sympathize with their feelings during all of the chaos on board the ship.
Indeed, my level of emotional involvement with this book often resulted in me feeling anxious and tense while I was reading. At one point while I was reading my distress must have been visible on my face because my brother happened to be walking by and remarked, "What's wrong? You look really concerned about something." While on the one hand my feelings of anxiety can be attributed to Revis' amazing writing, I don't always like to feel this tense when reading a book. Although I knew in my head that I should just relax and enjoy the book, I couldn't help but be somewhat antsy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that while Revis' ability to get me so emotionally involved in the story can be a positive aspect for some readers, it could also be a negative for others. 
Nevertheless, despite my anxiety while reading, I really did enjoy A Million Suns! It was fabulous! I would have read the entire novel in one sitting if I had been given the chance! The ending has me eagerly anticipating the final novel in the series to see what happens next. Those who loved the first novel will fall head over heels in love with this one!  If you haven't yet read Across the Universe get started now! 
Rating: 4.5 Stars

2 comments:

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

Great review. I have this one to read next, and I can't wait. I've seen a few reviews coming out and it's making me so excited!! I loved Across the Universe and can't wait to see how Beth Revis takes this story!

PS New follower :)

Andrea
Cozy Up With A Good Read

TG said...

Yay! This is the 2nd positive review I've read for AMS and each one is making me more excited. I have to pre-order this book right now!

Post a Comment