Thursday, 22 December 2011

Book Review: Legend


What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


I woke up yesterday morning to rain. That's right folks! It's less than a week away from Christmas and no snow in sight! Despite the depressing lack of snow, it was the perfect day to stay inside curled up on the couch with a cup of tea and a good book. So what did I do? Cracked open Legend by Marie Lu of course! Legend was a fast paced and gripping story that I found almost impossible to put down! I literally started it in the morning and had it finished by midnight last night. Here are some of the things that made Legend so amazing....

The Mystery
While Legend isn't quite a mystery novel, I loved how the plot contained several puzzle pieces that June had to put together in order to hunt down Day and discover the truth about some of the Republic's hidden secrets. As a result, it sometimes felt a bit like a detective story, although the clues somewhat fall into June's lap out of convenience. Despite the mystery aspects of Legend, I found the plot somewhat predictable at times, but this didn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the story. 

The Characters are Kickass
I loved the fact that both June and Day were able to kick some serious ass in this novel. It was sometimes hard to imagine that these characters are only 15 years old due to their perception and skills in combat, but I suppose that's what comes from being a child prodigy! One of the things I liked most about June was that her character showed how women can be just as powerful and intelligent as any man. My favourite aspect about Day, on the other hand, was his concern for his family and fellow man. He almost has this Aladdin/Robin Hood like quality about him as he leaps from rooftops and sneaks into buildings with agility and ease. 

The Narration
I loved the narration style that Marie Lu chose for Legend! Told through alternating viewpoints, readers are able to get inside of the heads of both June and Day. I love novels that use alternating viewpoints because this narration style really allows you to get to know the actions, thought processes, and feelings of the main characters. As a result, alternating viewpoints really allow for more complex character development. I especially loved how the publishers of Legend decided to print Day's narration in a different font type and colour in order to help differentiate his story from June's!  

While reading Legend, the only thing that really bugged me about the book was the age of the characters. Although I understand that the author made them 15 in order to better demonstrate how intelligent they are compared to the rest of the population, both Day and June seemed like they should have been a little bit older. I couldn't stop myself from imagining them as 18 in my mind. *Spoiler Alert* Their sudden  love for one another also felt a bit rushed near the end, and the language used to describe June's attraction for Day seemed a little too mature for a 15 year old....but then again that could just be me...*End Spoiler Alert* Nevertheless, I definitely think that anyone who picks up this book will instantly enjoy it! I'm already counting down the days until I can get my hands on the sequel! 

Rating: 4 Stars

3 comments:

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

I know what you mean in your spoiler! I find a lot of books are doing that with relationships lately. I loved this book too and flew through it! Can't wait to read what happens next. Great review!!

Andrea

Chelsey said...

I love reading your reviews =). Especially in context, when you talk about sitting on the couch all day while it rained. For some reason, I love hearing about where people read!

I wouldn't normally pick up something like this on my own, but your review has me interested! Will put it on my to-read list =).

Lisa @ Read.Breathe.Relax. said...

This sounds great! I was a little unsure about the premise, but it really does sound exciting and different.

Thanks for the great review!

Post a Comment