Friday, 16 December 2011

Follow Friday

When you've read a book, what do you do with it? (Keep it, give it away, donate it, sell it, swap it..?)

I've only recently become addicted to purchasing book before I've read them. Before that I got about 98% of my books from the library, and as a result the only thing I did when I finished it was return it before I got hit with late fines! Now when I finish a book that I've bought, however, I hold on to it! I love looking at my bookshelf and seeing all of the gorgeous spines lined up in alphabetical order (I'm turning into a librarian already!). In order to keep my books from collecting dust though, I do loan them out to friends to read if I think that it is something they would love too. I think the picture below sums up nicely the process that I go through before lending someone a book though...I guess I'm paranoid...or maybe I just love my books too much haha! I trust my friends to take good care of my books though, especially considering the majority of them are obsessed book lovers as well!

9 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

HAHA! I love this! And I have to admit I am totally like this as well. I trust everyone with my books that I know is going to take good care of them but if I'm iffy about the person I usually have to really think it over and even then I make them swear on their first born there will not be dog ears or tears or anything in the cover, haha. Sometimes if it is a hardcover book I take the sleeve off and just give them the book without the cover, lol!!

Jessi said...

Ha, I love that image. I'm really picky about lending my books. I never loan a book with the dust jacket on, for example. :)

Happy Friday!
Jessi @ Reading in the Corner

Jenny said...

LOL, I love the picture. I agree that it's pointless to hold onto them and let them collect dust. I'm always lending mine out. It only hurts a little. ;)

Rachel Brooks said...

Great picture! Haha. I'm going to start making people swear their souls to me too. Then they won't dog ear or stain books!

Here is my Follow Friday post

Old follower =)

Tia said...

I love looking at others' bookshelves. I think they say so much about a person!

My Follow Friday!

Chey said...

I'm glad you're a bit like myself! I really love being able to look at my packed shelves and feel really proud of the books I own. I love them too much to get rid of them. (Oh, and I barely lend my books out anymore. I've had some pretty bad experiences with that...such as the time one got returned looking as if it had been used as a shield in a sword fight. Yeah, you don't want to know...)
I'm a new follower! :D

Allison said...

I rarely loan books out - there aren't a lot of people I trust to take care of my babies, haha...

If I love a book, I definitely keep it. If I know I won't ever be rereading it - I either sell it at Half Price Books or give it away. I give away a LOT of ARCs.

Natalie said...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one hesitant when it comes to lending out books! I felt kind of a like a bitch for saying it! And Chey...having a book returned to me that looked like it had been in a sword fight is my worst nightmare!

Ikhlas said...

I used to be just like you, Natalie! I borrow the majority of my books from the library, but I found myself buying a whole lot of books this summer. I think I was influenced by the Humber program (and maybe also Chelsey hehe)

Post a Comment