Monday, 19 December 2011

The "Hey Girl" Phenomenon

If you use the Internet to procrastinate as much as I do (which is quite a lot), then you may have stumbled across a surprising new obsession with Ryan Gosling appearing across the blogsphere. This phenomenon includes fans taking random pictures of Ryan Gosling and adding text that starts with the phrase "Hey Girl." From what I can tell, this obsession first started on a tumblr page called Fuck Yeah! Ryan Gosling. Since then, the "Hey Girl" phrase has exploded to include sites dedicated to Feminist theory, Typography, Publishing, Libraries, and most recently... YA books! That's right fellow YA lovers, you can now get a daily dose of Mr. Gosling talking about some of your favourite lit!

While I've never really been a huge fan of Ryan Gosling or his movies (the only thing I find overly attractive about him is that he is a Canadian and from London, the city where I'm currently going to school!), I can't help but be amused by the wit and humour demonstrated in these various postings. The Library tumblr page has to be my personal favourite, but that's probably because I understand a lot of the inside jokes a lot better than the average user. The recent development of the YA Hey Girl page, however, has also caught my interest, and I've included a few of my favourite postings below.

So why the sudden popularity of these "Hey Girl" sites? Perhaps it's because some people would actually like to imagine that Ryan Gosling is looking deep into their eyes as he talks about gender issues or their favourite book. I also think part of the popularity can be found in the fact that many of these sites focus on a particular profession like publishing or libraries. For example, I'm sure the majority of the people following the "Hey Girl" meme on libraries just so happen to be librarians (or librarians in training!). Nevertheless, it seems like the rising popularity of "Hey Girl," and Ryan Gosling in general, is here to stay... at least for the time being!

So while I find the whole "Hey Girl" phenomenon somewhat strange and amusing, I can't help but wonder how others feel about this rising trend. Do you guys think these "Hey Girl" sites are funny? Are you even a fan of Ryan Gosling? I'm really curious to see what you have to say on the subject! Please leave your thoughts in the comments below :)

Book: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Book: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Book: Hourglass and Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Book: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

3 comments:

Jenny said...

LOL, the things that become popular.

Yaseena said...

hahaha I love these! My flatmate and I got really into the feminist theory ones. I didn't know there were others but the YA ones are great :) Love me some Ryan Gosling

Hannah said...

I've literally just come across this tumblr, and I love it!!!! Tumblr is my new poison, man I could spend hours and hours on there, and now they've given me more to procrastinate with!

Post a Comment