Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Top Ten Childhood Favourites!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme by The Broke and The Bookish
This week's topic is:  Top Ten Childhood Faves

This is probably one of the most difficult top ten list I have ever had to make. There are so many amazing books from when I was a child! In no particular order, here are ten random selections out of the hundreds of books I could have possibly chosen from! (This list is not including some of my more obvious choices, however, like Anne of Green Gables, considering how much I already talk about it on this blog!)

This is the first chapter book that I ever read by myself. I pretty much inhaled it and couldn't get enough of this series until about book #20! 



I was obsessed with horses as a kid, and I use to beg my parents for horseback riding lessons. Instead, my mom got me hooked on the Pony Pals series....which in retrospect only fuelled by obsession for horses even more...

I read pretty much everything by Kit Pearson as a child, but the Guests of War trilogy was by far my favourite! A must read for every kid! And a bonus is that the book is set in Canada :)

For some morbid reason I loved novels set during World War II as a child (and still do today), so I remember loving this book. Like Kit Pearson, Jean Little is also a Canadian author, which is of course an added bonus!

I am still in love with these books today! I kind of have a craving to re-read them right now actually! Ever since I saw the tv show as a kid I've been a hardcore Little House on the Prairie fan, which is what got me into reading the actual novels! 

I guess this is technically the first vampire novel I ever read! Bunnicula is such a fun series...I mean a rabbit that sucks the life out of vegetable? How silly is that! I remember wishing I had a vampire rabbit after these books...

I'm pretty sure that this is the book that got me hooked on fantasy and adventure stories. I devoured everything and anything written by Tamora Pierce after this first book. Such an amazing series! 

I pretty much fell in love with any book dealing with animals and adventure, and Redwall was no exception! While I never did finish this series (I think I got around to #5), I remember absolutely loving this book! 

I know....another historical novel set in Canada by a Canadian author...do you see a growing trend here? The Hollow Tree really is an amazing book though! Filled with adventure and a bit of romance, I devoured this novel in the course of two days! I also fell in love with her other more popular novel The Root Cellar!

No little girl should grow up without having read a single one of the Nancy Drew books! They are classics! I read tons of them as a kid and couldn't get enough of them! The Secret of Shadow Ranch was one of my favourites....but only because of the fact that there was a horse on the cover (ya I was a crazy child!). 

8 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

Oh my god!! I absolutely LOVE Tamora Pierce! hahah I first got Wild Magic for my birthday from Jenn I think and from there I was totally hooked!! lol. I loved the Alanna series and the Immortal series as well ... She is still writing them, the Beka Cooper series I havent read it yet but I plan on getting my hands on a copy! lol. And I totally remember reading Bunnicula for a class in like grade 5 I think, lol! - Ahhhh, childhood readings! lol

IngridLola said...

I love WWII books as a kid too. I read sooo many holocaust books back then.

Come check out ours at The Blue Bookcase

jesspoole said...

I LOVED Bunnicula! What a great story!

Cary Cheyenne. said...

I love these choices!! :)

Amazing!!

Here's my post: http://carycheyennexo.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-ten-tuesday-3.html

P.S. Great blog :D

GF Book Mom said...

I loved all the Nancy Drew books.

Here's my post.

Louise said...

I was a great Nancy Drew tragic as well, so she made my Top Ten. Never heard of Bunnicula. It sounds fabulous though!

Jenny said...

I need to read those Alanna books. There's no way I could make a list of my favorite childhood books.

Midnyte Reader said...

Hi there, found this link through Razorbill. I read Bunnicula as an adult when I was student teaching. Looove that book!

Post a Comment